Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Getting more Tall Bearded Iris

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Well, I just couldn't stant it. I ordered more Tall Bearded Iris. These will be from Schreiners.

I ordered-

Aegean Wind

Gypsy Romance

First Wave

Grand Amiral

Pledge Allegiance

Spirit Mountain

Secret Service

Amplified

June Krausse

Crackling Caldera

Lovely Senorita

and my bonus picks are -

Dodger Blue

Company Red

You might notice that I have ordered lots of Blue. I LOVE blue iris. Probably because I just don't have blue flowers in my garden. At least not until TB iris. Then I wanted AGEAN WIND, love the bi-colors and SECRET SERVICE because it is so dramatiic. Then I had to get some other colors so that it wasn't a bed of blue iris, so got the pink and some orange. I love orange in daylilies so we will see about the iris.

Comments (8)

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

How lovely they are...I know you have so many already. I have a lot I was given very early on in my gardening days - some I like some I have been weeding out. I have a handful that I picked and planted - Vanity is a lovely pink that has formed big clumps in my front borders. Silverado is so gorgeous. I love the very dark blues and near blacks as well especially with the pale pinks and all the peonies at that time of year. I have a very frilly white one, too - I thought it was Snowflake or something like that but I don't see it in the Scheider's site.

Do you have or like the broken ones? I have Batik - just a small clump but I do really think it's pretty.

It's going to be fun to watch them all bloom next year!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't really have a lot. Only slightly over 50 from planting last year. But when they bloomed this year they were just so wonderful. So this year I have already ordered from Mid America and Napa and have made a new iris bed and planted 45 new iris. But I still wated more so did this small order from Schreiners. I still want more but probably order next spring. I just have gone completely nuts over those TB iris. They are just so beautiful.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And this afternoon, ordered again. This time from Sutton Iris in California. Got 5 iris. Got -

Designer Label
    Harmonic Elegance
    Lemon Frappuccino
    Wave Runner
    Yosemite Star

Most of them are Sutton intros but the first is a Ghio.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

I have gypsy romance and it is my favorite iris of them all.

• Nancy
    13 years ago

You do like the ruffles, & have some real beauties. I have Gypsy Romance & really like it. I hadn't seen June Krausse before, very pretty ruffley pink.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love ruffles. In fact I often look at an iris that has nice color and general form but is not showing ruffles so I just pass it by.

I think GYPSEY ROMANCE will replace RIO ROJO in my garden. I didn't care for the fact that the blooms on RIO ROJO were so small and the color just never looked as nice and saturated as the catalog picture.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Schreiners order was just delivered by the UPS guy. Talk about fast. I remember last year that I really didn't know exactly when they would come but arrived early July. And my impression of the rhizomes was that they were quite large. This year I was wondering if my memory was true as to how big they were. That considering I only had Mid America (smaller rhizomes) and Napa (nice rhizomes) to compair them to. But once again the quality of the rhizomes just blows me away. They are big. Nice and big.

Most I would say the same size as the bigger of the Napa ones. The rest are humongous. Between that (and speedy) and the nice little picture cards on each iris plus the extra bonus plants and I know why I love to order from Schreiners.

So when you order you qualify for bonus iris. I had picked Dodger Blue and Company Red, which I received. Then two more bonus iris. JAMAICAN DREAM another of their 2010 intros. It really does not appeal to me judging from the picture, Then COME AWAY WITH ME a 2008 Schreiners intro is the other new bonus. This one looks truely aweful to me in the picture. I would never have picked either of these. But I suppose thats the way it is, no one can know your tastes. But more so I bet they have these as bonus because they have extras of them to give away.

Here are some of my new iris.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I already planted 10 out of the 15. So I have five more out of the order to plant. I made my labels for these ten. First I juggled them around looking to see what order looked best to me to plant them in.

Then I planted them in back of these daylilies way close to the back wall. Will take pictures tomorrow of them planted in there. Was not time today.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio