Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olympic planting

Posted by flora_uk SW UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 17:15

Here are a couple of examples of the planting at the Olympic Park in London. I was there at the weekend and really enjoyed the gardens.

Prairie style.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olympic planting

Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

o

That is so pretty, I love wildflower plantings. Not having much space I did a wildflower mix in one of my long planter boxes one year, seeing this has me wanting to do it again.

Annette

o

How pretty. I love fields of wildflowers.

o

How hard is it to do something like that for a front yard? And is there a mix what would last year round?

o

Ellusionz - these plantings were obviously planned to peak for a month in July/August in the UK so would not necessarily be suitable for your garden I imagine. The gold meadow planting is largely annuals whilst the Southern Hemisphere planting is mostly perennials and bulbs/rhizomes. There were also European gardens which was mostly perennials. For all year interest you would need to select species suitable for your region and include both annuals and perennials. It would also be pretty high maintenance on the deadheading, weeding and selection/removal of self-sowers. Notice that there is absolutely no mulch in these gardens and no soil visible between plants. They rely on dense planting and overall effect, not blobby individual specimens. It looks informal and natural but is not easy to achieve. The designer's site is at the link and there are details of the different gardens if you click through the list on the right. There is information on how they planted them up. For example, the annuals were direct sown in situ by hand.

I've seen a lot of gardens in my time but these truly were wonderful and incredibly imaginative in concept and content.

Here is a link that might be useful: Designer's site

o

Wow flora thanks! I also enjoyed the links to his other projects, rain garden and the Blue garden at the Chelsea Flower Show.

o

Darn, I've seen a few yards of "wildflowers" and thought it'd be a lovely idea to try to duplicate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here