Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

My get-up-and-go...

Annie
12 years ago

Ahhhh, the Golden Years!

This is a family favorite. I thought all of you other "old gardeners" on here would get a kick out of this as much as I do.

-------------------------------------------

My Get-Up-and-Go-Has-Got-up-and-Went

How do I know that my youth's all spent?

Well, my get up and go has got up and went.

But in spite of it all, I am able to grin

When I recall where my get up has been.

Old age is golden, so I've heard it said,

But sometimes I wonder, when I get into bed,

My ears in a drawer and teeth in a cup,

My eyes on the table until I wake up.

The sleep dims my eyes, I say to myself:

"Is there anything else I should lay on the shelf?"

And I am happy to say as I close my door,

My friends are the same, perhaps even more.

When I was young, my slippers were red,

I could kick up my heels right over my head,

When I grew older my slippers were blue,

But still I could dance the whole night through.

Now I am old, my slippers are black.

I walk to the store and puff my way back;

The reason I know my youth is all spent,

My get up and go has got up and went.

But I really don't mind, when I think with a grin.

Of all the grand places my get up has been.

Since I have retired from life's competition,

I busy myself with complete repetition.

I get up each morning, dust off my wits,

Pick up my paper, and read the "Obits".

If my name is missing, I know I'm not dead.

So I eat a good breakfast, and go back to bed. (Anonymous)

------------------------------------------------------------

This was one of my Grannie's favorite poems that she liked to recite - often! She was a life-long gardener, a life-long member of the Rebekkah Lodge, and life-long member of the California Rock Hound Assoc. She followed in her father's footsteps as an very early Conservationist and diligently worked hard to preserve endangered trees and woodlands in Southern California. She enjoyed collecting rocks, cutting stones and making them into jewelry. She loved to go camping and hiking. She loved to dance, especially the old-time square dances. She played the flute, the piano and the accordion. She was not above snitching and pinching little snippets of plants wherever she went, including the zoo at San Pasqual where she was an Honored member. One of her proudest moments was receiving a signed birthday card and document from President Clinton on her 100th birthday. She lived to be 102 years young. She had all her own teeth and 20/20 vision, but she did wear a hearing aid. Her thick, wiry red hair was only dusted with a bit of gray. She had a face like the Queen Mother, but she had a wonderful smile, her very blue eyes sparkling and dancing like pixies. She had a wry sense of humour and loved to tease. She was quite stubborn. She was very stoic and even though she never told me she loved me, and would blush when I hugged her and told her how much I loved her, she showed me in every way and every day that she loved me too. She was a grand old gal. She had hundreds of life-long friends, most of whom she outlived. I miss her so!

~Annie

Comments (9)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you Annie for sharing that!!! Funny and sweet! I lost my mother the day after my 11th birthday 40 years ago this summer and she would have been 92 on August 20th. A few years after she passed, I was looking in her old recipe box (her hiding place) and found a poem she cut out of Women's Weekly. The poem was called The Monkey's Viewpoint. I will never forget the words to that poem that I had heard since I was about 2 and still know it to this day. I learned a lot about the mother I only had till I was 11 and I treasure that part. Your poem reminded me very much of my mom and I seem to remember her reciting that very poem to me at one time too! Again, Thank you Annie.

Virginia Garden

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is a picture of my Grannie, taken in 1985. Those glasses had clear lenses - not prescription. She wore glasses when she was a young woman to correct her lenses, but later she didn't need them. She said that she felt "naked" without them, so her doctor made her glasses with clear lenses to wear after that. In nearly every picture she is wearing glasses. I never knew she had 20/20 vision. Mother told me her "little secret" a couple of years ago. Silly little Grannie.
    She hated her red hair all her life, so almost always kept it short and hidden under a big hat.

She passed away in 2000 at the age of 102.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

What a sweet soul! Like who I would imagine Ann of Greengables to be like at that age.:)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Annie- Thank you for sharing the poem.

I hadn't heard the poem before, but I recognized the subject line...my grandmother used to say that all the time, but she'd say "My get up and go just got up and went" LOL

Thanks for the reminder and I miss my grandmother, too :)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Boy, your Grannie must have had a lot of good livin' in 102 years! That is fantastic! What a great photo of her Annie. Here's to Annies Grannie!

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Her mother, my Great-Grammie Lamb, lived to 104!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

LOL, I seem to be using that phrase a lot lately, What a great lady your grammie must have been,I would have loved to have met her. Them's great genes you have my friend.

Annette

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

What a nice grandma! Keep gardening, it's great exercise and will keep you fit and healthy. enjoyed your poem :-)

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette,
    yes, those Lamb & Gird genes are something else! All mother's family lived to a very old age, and apparently, as I've traced the family genealogy of various branches of mother's family, and it has been so for eons.

My mother is in her mid-80s, still sings. In fact, she is quite the debutant all around these days, performing with bands. EVERYONE loves her, and her singing! I expect she will also live to be a grand old gal.

On one visit out to California to see my Grannie, she gave me her birthstone ring since I was born two days after her birthday. Grampa had it made for her back in the 1930s. The gemstone was from his gemstone mine (which was later sold to Tiffany). She told me: "I want you to have this ring now before I get old and people start stealing things from me." BEFORE SHE GOT OLD? She was 89 at the time. Now, that is what I call a young-hearted woman and what an attitude!

BTW, My Grannie was a very kind-hearted person and well loved and respected by all, but I think Grannie would be the first one to chuckle at hearing anyone refer to her as "sweet" or "nice". We always called her our "Cute little Grannie", but I never heard anyone use the terms "sweet" or "nice". (LOL)
    No way! She was a little spit-fire and always spoke her mind. She had that British attitude not to be reckoned with!
    Mama says I am "just like her". Ya think?

She was and still is my inspiration to be a Cottage Gardener. (which is why I posted all this). She gardened 3 acres of flowers, trees, shrubs, cactus & succulents, a citrus orchard, and several other fruit trees, and grew grapes. She kept a cow, geese and chickens and helped Grampa with his bee colonies and they harvested and sold honey for many years. She continued to do all this, and more, up until she was age 100, at which time she "Bossed" everyone else on how to do things, using her cane to point at things she wanted worked on and completed - no nonsense! She NEVER gave up! And she smiled to her last breathe.

So when I read the topic posted about starting over at age 57, I had to chuckle, thinking of my Grannie.

NEVER, EVER give up Gardening!
    ~Annie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting