Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

tell about your (ornamental) edibles

louisianagal
12 years ago

I have a small raised vegetable garden, and a narrow melon patch, but am always looking to stick edibles in the garden beds, wherever I can find a spot. I have blueberries (not all that productive), strawberries (ditto), a fig (ditto) - I hope they will produce more as they mature. I have 2 espaliered apples but no fruit on them yet (yes I have two varieties for pollination). Successful this year were the Gretel white eggplant and another (generic?) white eggplant. I have tried more bush varieties like squash and snapbeans, instead of the pole varieties. What are you growing or have grown this year that is easy and successful in your ornamental beds?

Comments (10)

• natal
    12 years ago

I grow Swiss chard (Bright Lights) fall through spring in the kitchen garden and one of the flower beds. We love to eat it and I love the way it looks in the gardens.

• irene_dsc
    12 years ago

The only edible thing I've got in the flower beds right now is chives. Everything else is in the official veggie garden.

• mytime
    12 years ago

One year I grew artichokes in the flower bed...they take up a lot of space, but I sometimes have a lot of space in a new bed, waiting for perennials to fill in. Also, pole beans in with the sweet peas and canary vine have worked well.

• louisianagal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've tried artichokes a few times, they always die. Probably too hot here.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Normally I keep my veg in their own separate beds. Last week I had to take out some perennials and veg plants (I was going to transition it into a full veg garden, but it didnt' work out. Now I am making it back into a perennial garden, LOL!) from the front of the house so workers could get up to it. I ended up moving some 'Red Acre' cabbage (never got very big, probably didn't like that spot) and 'Red Russian' Kale. Both look amazing in with the late summer/fall blooming plants! The cabbage is my favorite, what with the broad, rounded blue-purple leaves. I have it in back of a blue Gentian and next to a gold variegated culinary sage. Stellar! Next year I may even start some especially for filling the gaps in the perennial garden...
    CMK

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Red Russian kale adds a nice structure and blue-green color (with reddish veins). Tastes best after it's been hit with frost.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Kale

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Not sure if herbs count as many people have them in their perennial gardens but I like the way the setting sun illuminated the dill recently. I put many herbs in my new large perennial garden to fill in spaces.

I've sometimes used mesclun as an edging altho it's done when it gets really hot and last year had garlic bordering a far bed.

{{gwi:742214}}

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I find various okra very ornamental. I have burgundy, burmese and a "giant" texas variety right now. Gorgeous huge leaves on one, finely cut leaves on another...the burgundy is just beautiful too. I love red yard-long beans, lima beans, scarlet runner beans (my faves for food and flowers but do not grow well here for me).
    Other favorites are basils of all kinds, edible flowers such as dianthus, borrage, nasturtiums, batchelor buttons and roses (I eat hips and also jelly the petals). Edible Chrysanthemum is beautiful, peppers (especially hots) come in a vast array of beautiful colors and leaf colors. All of the ornamental hot peppers are perfectly edible. Fish peppers are variegated in leaf and in fruits! Stunning!
    All of my lettuces, chicories, most swiss chard, kale and other leafy greens are beautiful and ornamental. I grow them along fences, as bedding annuals and in the vegetable gardens in spring, fall and winter. Heck, I even think collards are pretty!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Radishes make cute little flowers, Brussels sprouts have big bluish leaves.

• greyandamy
    12 years ago

I love the looks of parsley, it was from seed and I'm amazed by how "pretty" it is! Basil, I like the smell. Ditto with thyme (anything to deter rabbits). I have a ton of silver variegated thyme but I'm not sure it's edible... or more... ornamental. I Love dill when it's young, the foliage, but once the yellow flowers came and I was waiting for the seeds, I wanted it out. I'm afraid to grow my lettuces this year b/c of SLUGS GALORE And bunnies, but they were pretty.

I have chives I LOVE in spring, with their flowers. I don't mind them now, they just ... spread...

I loved my blueberries I had for 4 years until the deer loved them more, so my neighbor with a HIGH HIGH fence got them. I have the ornamental "reugen alpine" strawberries that started out the season with me eating and loving them daily, now one needs divided, and slugs are getting... I always loved those.

I have tomatoes that were doing so well but I can't figure out now what's deciding to take a chunk out as soon as they get ripe... chipmunk, rabbit, stinkbugs, slugs?

I LOVE the ornamental black peppers (sorry I don't know their real name, they are too hot to eat, the foliage is black and the fruit changes from red to black). I thought of getting some on sale but they were covered with stink bugs at the nursery. I was going to overwinter inside, but don't know if it's possible.

I have golden edged sage, hardy to zone 7 (I'm 6) so trying to decide if I should overwinter. (Rabbits don't eat).

I never knew dianthus was edible! (I love dianthus, rabbits hate)... ditto with bachelor buttons (Rabbits love)...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH