Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindysunshine_gw

'Just Do It' Gardening

cindysunshine
13 years ago

I have been playing this just do it game with myself this summer. It's like when I see a weed, I pull it. When something needs staked, I go get the darn stake and stake it. When I drive up the drive and I see a bunch of zinnias that need deadheading, I just do it. I don't make a note. I don't put the groceries away first. I don't tell myself I'll do it later after I fold the laundry.

The truth is that it has been working so successfully. I am in a different phase of life now with the kids out of the house and I'm working from home so I have a lot more flexibility than I used to. And I don't spend as much time dressed up in work clothes, but I will tell you this silly mind game has pushed me thru a lot of what needed to happen this year to get my gardens back together.

So I will start procrastinating again soon, but I felt so darn good after doing a bed today before putting groceries away I had to post.

;)

Comments (8)

• scully931
    13 years ago

That's a really good way to do it. (As long as you don't have ice cream in the car)

I, too, changed my attitude a bit this year. Instead of looking at the overwhelming amount to do to keep things looking nice, I pick one thing. THEN STICK TO IT. (That last part was always my downfall) If I say I'm just weeding the tropcial garden, then I just weed the tropical garden. I don't venture over to the cottage area and start poking around.

I've been enjoying things much more this way.

• natal
    13 years ago

Down here 'just do it' would mean getting soaked within 5 minutes. I have to make lists and be prepared to be miserable while I'm knocking things off.

Today I worked outside for about two hours. After I came in and took a shower I remembered I forgot to water the porch plants. Back outside for five minutes and I was soaked again. I hate this time of year!!!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Scully, I've been trying to do the same thing this year. I always stray from the task at hand. I'll go out to deadhead the cottage garden and then find myself in the backyard pulling weeds. It always amazes me how focused I am with work and my family but then have this case of Gardener's ADHD or something! I have been trying hard to make a conscious effort to stick with the task I've gone out to do!

Cindy, Someday I hope to be able to work up to what you are now doing. I'm sure it's very efficient and rewarding at the same time. I can however safely say that laundry will NEVER get folded before gardening!

• Pat z6 MI
    13 years ago

Whew! I'm not the only one. What a relief. Made my day. Love you!

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

If I "just did it", I'd never get more than 20 feet from the backdoor!

I have too much and am swamped, and focus on whatever is most urgent, not what is closest.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

It's amazing how so much of what we struggle with is actually all in the mind. I've played a similar "game" for years now called the "15 minute gardener." It is so easy to get overwhelmed and not venture outside to do anything. So I just tell myself I'm going to work for only 15 minutes. That gets me out of the house and I usually end up working for much more. And that's OK because I love it. It's just that push I need to get out the door and dig in.

• tressa
    13 years ago

I guess we all have that "overwhelmed" problem. I am so scattered when gardening. So much needs to be done that I usually don't know where to start...so I do a little here and a little there. It is hard to focus...always thinking about something else I need to do. Then, I am distracted by the beauty of it all and try not to be so hard on myself!!! I love to water so I can just enjoy the scenary.

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Right this does not get the big jobs done and maybe it makes me procrastinate at those longer.

I get scattered, too. I guess I find if I just do the really annoying things they don't take long and it helps me to gain better perspective on what really needs to be done when I can devote a longer block of time.

I'm awful at going out to handle one area and work on three other things and never get to what needed done several hours later. I think there is just always so much that must be done and could be done...

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals