Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

When you finally find the plant you can't live without ...

Today started as the terrible , horrible , no good , very bad day . ( remember the book ? Lol )
Well it wasn't that bad , but I was glum because I'm adjusting to a new job I don't love , a new area I do love but I have no Friends in , and just a general feeling of loneliness . Went to a nursery that advertised 30 percent off all plants , 40 min away , only to find it ended yesterday ! So that led me to sulking all the way to the downtown nashville place I'd heard of . Found 2 madame Julia Clem's for only 5$ each ! Steal!! And a kind nursery man cheered me up , just chit chatting . It's amazing how human interaction can lift your mood !
Back to my story tho . About ten years ago I had a friend who had a yellow butterfly bush . It was glorious and spectacular and I could never find one of my own . Anywhere ! And I never thought to try cuttings , it just wasn't something I thought I could do . I have been looking everywhere for one . Came to one nursery on vacation that listed it online , and they didn't have it . Was at another nursery , and mentioned it , and the gentleman said oh I sold the last one a couple weeks ago !
Well today , I decided to go to a Home Depot I wasn't familiar with just to look ... And what did I find ?? I couldn't believe it . Almost still don't ! I finally got my hands on a yellow butterfly bush !!! Yipeeeee!!

Is there a plant you must have that you can't find ? Or that took a good while to find ? I'd love to hear your most wanted plants . :)
Sincerely ,
The new owner of the last yellow butterfly bush in a hundred mile radius . ;)

Comments (8)

• nulty
    9 years ago

Hi Lilyfinch,
    Amazing to read your post and see you down in the dumps then uplifted to a big Yipeeeeee,..i hope that Yellow Butterfly Bush thrives for you and you get blooms in abundance.

About two years ago i spotted some Tigridia pavonia,'Tiger Flowers/Mexican Shell Flowers' while viewing a garden video,..nobody around here even heard of them,..anytime i visited a Hardware Store or Garden Center i checked to see were there any Bulbs or Seeds,..no luck,..then last year i was buying paint and looked around at a stand with Dafs and all sort of Bulbs,..my mouth dropped open there they were,..i forgot that i don't buy plants or seeds then bought two packs of bulbs,..i also in my excitement forgot what i went out to buy,..paint duh!,..at last i have growing in my garden several different shades of Tigridia pavonia,..grin.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow ! That is a beautiful flower!! Like an orchid ! Do they spread for you ? I have never seen a flower like that .
    I truely feel extra blessed today ! I just watered all my new beauties and am now daydreaming about where they will go . :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Wow, wow, wow - that Mexican shell flower is amazing. We'd have to grow it in a pot here, but it would be worth the extra effort!!

I wish butterfly bush would thrive here - it is borderline - they die back to the ground and then you have to pray for them to grow back. I tried a few years and gave up. Oh well, I will look for a source for the shell flower.

Our wish was hollyhocks - good, old fashioned hollyhock. I have seeded and they mysteriously disappear. I put 2 4' pots in this spring and they died back so i bought a 1/2 gallon pot, which is finally flourishing at the edge of the driveway. Apparently they need poor soil!!

Nancy.

• socks
    9 years ago

Lilyfinch, you said: "It's amazing how human interaction can lift your mood !" This is so true, even a friendly smile and comment from a stranger can mean a lot. I always try to be friendly to customers in my volunteer job.

Anyway, if you are lonely and want friends to chat with, come on over to the Kitchen Table Forum. Lots of nice people, love to chat and share experiences, recommendations, etc. Here's a link in case you are interested. New people are always welcome.

Glad you found the plant you like. A nice plant can lift your spirits too; nothing like nature to improve the mood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Table

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Lilyfinch, I am so glad you found the yellow butterfly bush! I hope it portends many more good things to come!

• nulty
    9 years ago

Hi Lilyfinch,
    Yes that Mexican Shell Flower is a sight to see,..it does multiply to more than double the following season,..they are by no means a small bloom as my smallest are 4 inches wide and the large ones 6 inches,..i collected the seeds last year and have seedlings just now as well as the mature plants,..the only drawback is that the bloom only lasts for a day however next morning there will be more blooms,..i have red,..yellow and pink just now but they have produced cross blooms.

Keep daydreaming about where you will plant your new beauties,..gardeners dream a lot,..smile.

===============================================

Hi midnightsmum,
    Ah so you were also smitten with the Mexican Shell Flower,..now you can understand my longing to have some.

I will check my seed collection for yourself and Lilyfinch,..i am sure i have some left as i gave away quite a good few at the start of Spring.

About your Hollyhocks,..it is said they grow in almost any soil,..i grow them myself from seeds and sow the seeds outside in late Autumn just before the frost arrives,..they do thrive on moist rich soil and a sunny location,..i also use Miracle Grow and a must is to spray the leaves with fungicide to prevent hollyhock rust which is airborne,..i will keep my fingers crossed for you with your Butterfly Bush.

Philip

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Hi Lilyfinch. Loved hearing your story - it's so nice when good things happen and when spirits get lifted! Congratulations on finding your yellow butterfly bush! It's so funny how things like that work out! :)

I discovered Carefree Beauty Roses on this forum from another poster and just fell in love with them. I figured I'd have to buy it online next year. Yesterday on my afternoon off I stumbled upon them at my local gardening store just a few blocks away and they were on sale. That was a good day!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses. That too lifted my spirits ! :) it's so great to have so many fellow gardener friends to chat with . Socks I will definitly check out the kitchen table forum !
    Nancy , I remember trying holly hocks one year. I winter sowed them so I had to wait 2 seasons for one plant that came back ! But it was so pretty!
    Gardenat902, glad you found your roses!! I have seen great pics of carefree beauty . I'm sure it will do well for you ! :)

Sponsored