Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any groundcover that can withstand mowing?

Posted by newskye uk-8b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 18:06

(I posted this in the groundcovers forum a few days ago but there's not so much activity there, so I'm reposting here)

Help me out, fellow gardeners! I'm looking for a groundcover which won't be killed off by being mowed 2 or 3 times a year. Would lysimachia work? Ajuga? Mint?

The situation is that my neighborhood has a number of public areas that are chock full of weeds and overgrown grass, which I want to plant nicer things in. Last year I planted nasturtiums in several places, which were growing and blooming until the local council workers mowed it all down, killed my flowering plants and left the grass and weeds to grow all over the place again. It was so disheartening. I still want to work on it though, so if I could find a groundcover that would keep off the grass and weeds then that would be a start.

Can anyone give me any advice here? I have a "Midnight Sun" lysimachia which is very nice, and 2 types of ajuga I could take pieces from. Would either of these stand up to mowing once in spring, once in summer, and once in early fall? Can you suggest anything that could work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any groundcover that can withstand mowing?

Ivy

o

I was going to suggest Ivy also. Not much will grow up through it as far as grass and weeds (but do I have some shrubs and perennials growing in mine) but a person needs to keep it in check or the ivy will creep out where it's not wanted.

o

Have you talked to the council about it? Basically you're talking about guerilla gardening. But if they know you're interested they might cooperate. Either by planting the area themselves or coordinating with you and letting you garden there. You might even shame them into maintaining the area better.

To resist regular mowing you'd need something perennial. Is the area sun or shade? Dry or damp?

o

I would avoid ivy. If you plant something like liriope, it can be mown in early spring. If you plant carex or mondo grass, no need to mow at all. Maybe that would be welcomed.

o

Ivy is native to the UK and not a problem here. But it's not very exciting.

o

I have sedum groundcover here that gets mowed regularly and it's just fine. It's low enough to the ground it seems to not be affected

o

Achillea? I have no idea if it would work for your application, but here is an article that may be of interest to you. http://www.smgrowers.com/gardens/yarrow.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: The Yarrow Lawn

o

You need a low growing ground cover that will grow densely to shade out weeds, tolerate neglect, and be drought tolerant altho the latter may not be an issue in your damp climate.

One of my favorite ground covers that answers those requirements is Wooly Thyme. It grows well in my dry climate, requires no care once established and spreads well. In fact I have to cut or rip it back late spring and late summer or it would cover more of my patio than I want (it grows in spaces in my patio). Not only would it tolerate mowing, if the mower was set high it likely wouldn't even get cut altho any weeds growing thru would be.

The link below shows many groundcovers for your consideration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tough Ten groundcovers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here