Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

Backyard Slope

Sandi_W
11 years ago

This picture was taken 7 May through a window screen and is the only one I have, but you can see how overgrown it was. The slope goes all the way across the back of my house.

I don't know how to post 2 pics in one post so my next post will show it as it is today.

Comments (12)

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you can see there's still a lot of work to be done, but it looks so much better. Only the top part of the slope is mulched because I ran out. I had hoped to start planting this fall, but it won't be ready. The slope between those 2 trees is very steep and will have to have steps built. I think for financial reasons the steps will be 4' wide of railroad ties.
    Today was very overcast so the slope is alot sunnier than it appears, but it's spotty and there are parts that gets no direct sun at all.
    Anyone have any words of widsom for me? I could sure use lots of advice.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

that's so cool, looks like it leads to a secret meadow.
    maybe some white flowering shrubs to brighten up the shadowy look.
    Or variegated weigela to keep it bright all season long.
    :) Laura

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, the open space is enclosed on all 4 sides so it kind of is secret. I want to plant white evergreen azaleas. I need some summer and fall white blooming shrubs preferably evergreen.
    I love variegated weigela and had not thought of them. Perfect idea. I also have some of the white variegated liriopi that I love to plant. And of course Hostas. I need to research white or pink roses that will do well in half sun for a couple of spots.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Such a beautiful tranquil space, just a wee bit envious here.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I don't care for railroad ties at all,esp.in that serene, natural environment; but I understand the financial reasons. Perhaps you could do the plantings while waiting for an opportunity to get your hands on some stone. A winding flight of steps with native shrubs and plants on either side would be pretty. However, I can see a wide staircase straight up to the meadow beyond; railroad ties with gravel or even grass for the tops of the steps(what is the proper term? grr) would look great. Lots of maintenance either way, but worth it years down the road.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have railroad ties in good shape that were on the property when I bought it which is the only reason I am using them. The area where they will go is very steep and had problems in the past with washing so steps are needed.
    I found this pic online (hope it's ok to post it) and thought I could curve the steps similarly, but much steeper. I'm not sure how deep they can be yet without hauling in soil which I can't do (financially or physically). The only accesses to this slope are wheelbarrow wide.
    The slope to the far left and far right is much more gentle and can have winding paths.
    There is still way too many weeds and woody growth to start planting and I doubt I can finish in time this year plus I can't get any more free mulch until spring.
    Did I mention...this whole area is full of poison ivy.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

sandi, that is absolutely gorgeous, such natural beauty! Looks like you've already put in a lot of work clearing it out. I think the idea of railroad ties with gravel would work well and fit in with the look, and you'll be able to grow hostas, among other shade plants.

You have all winter to think about it, and I'll bet you'll be amazed with the ideas you come up with. Think "woodsy" and "meadows"!

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Sandi,
    you are in a beautiful natural location,..you must get lots of wildlife there,..seeing you have the railroad ties you will find they will blend in with the soil and woods,..you have everything going for you there,..apart from the poison ivy.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone. I'm only 4 driving blocks from the courthouse in the middle of a very little town, but you'd never know it from the street I live on. There are only 8 houses on my street and the rest is woods. I've see rabbits, deer & 1 snake around here, but only rabbit damage so far (except the damage caused by the snake scaring me half to death).
    I only cleared about 1/3 of it by hand myself and then I hired a man with a chainsaw. The rest is on me now.
    It's fighting all of the big woody vines that is slowing me down so much. Roundup and Spectracide just aren't doing it. Someone told me to try 'Magic Eraser' that the local farm depot sells (5 gallons concentrate for $100), but I can't find it online to check it out.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

I think variegated boxwoods would work well in there too.
    I have one myself in a protected area. Slow growing but likes semi-shady areas.
    I think the rail road ties will blend very nicely. Maybe you can fill the step with recovered bricks. Check you local CL free page. I see people giving them away from time to time.

I'm on a very strict budget. I actually sell plants to fund my gardening addition. lol
    Use what you have and enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Sandi, if it were mine I would keep it as native as possible, gosh it's so gorgeous just as it is, and native plants would just add to the charm.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

The first plants I thought of when I saw that spot were ferns. Jacob's ladder would fill in some spaces nicely as well. I've heard that goats love to eat poison ivy. Maybe you could borrow some for a few weeks. LOL. Enjoy your process, the journey is 9/10 of the fun.

Martha

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida