Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Do you grow Climbing Aster?

natal
12 years ago

I'm waiting for Brushwood Nursery to post their stock for fall orders and am thinking about ordering a climbing aster for the courtyard fence. Curious how it looks year round when not in bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing Aster

Comments (7)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Yes, natal, I sure do.
    It is not a "climber" in the sense of a twining, climbing vine. It is a "thrower of self". I liken it to being like an old, dramatic movie actress showing distress with her hand to her face...
    The plant is not a center stage plant until it blooms. It grows VERY lanky, with longish narrow leaves. Mine always shows the stem. It is in a very prominent place (but will need to move, it is too dry there, I just wanted to see it! Climbing aster is somewhat drought tolerant but needs regular water to do and look it's best. My neighbor around the corner has one beside an arch - other small and light weight vines (a native climbing fern) help to keep it up and on the arch. His is pretty fantastic.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GGG, I'm thinking about growing it along with the Confederate jasmine. It would sort of be out of direct view (behind a crape myrtle) most of the year.

I'm just hoping that wasn't one of the plants that was destroyed by the sick person who vandalized Brushwood Nursery earlier this year.

This was in an email I received from the owner yesterday:

At the beginning of this summer, a terrible thing happened at Brushwood. Someone attacked us by spraying herbicide all over the nursery. We lost a huge number of plants including many research and stock plants that are irreplaceable or very difficult to locate. There is an investigation under way but the damage is done and those plants won't be coming back. We've installed a security system to do our best to make sure it won't happen again. The overall losses in assets and peace of mind have been very difficult. The planned expansion is on hold and will probably be pushed back by a year. However, we've been working hard to rebuild and promise to keep pushing forward. It is our intention to serve the gardening community with the best vines and climbers for decades to come!

• nandina
    12 years ago

My favorite way to grow climbing aster is to work it through mature Savannah hollies so that the end branching drips off the limbs. In the fall the purple aster blossoms and bright red holly berries appear at the same time; a spectacular sight.

• brpinson
    12 years ago

I agree with girlgroupgirl. It is very lanky, and periodically needs thinning to keep it from looking weedy. After this past summer which has been extremely hot and dry, it looks pretty crummy. Here (SC-zone 8b) it blooms at the same time as salvia leucantha, helianthus angustifolius, and callicarpa...makes a great late fall show in the garden.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Natal, are you thinking of putting it on the same structure as a jasmine?
    I ask because the jasmine is a much more aggressive (meaning abundant, it's not mean) twiner, and the aster is called "climbing" but it is not a vine and will be smothered and probably killed in short order by a voracious vine!
    I can't believe that crazy Brushwood story. That is TWO episodes of herbicidal vandalism I have heard of. The other were the trees that were killed on a college campus.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those poor live oaks on the Auburn campus? So sick!

Yeah, I was thinking of planting it along the fence with the jasmine. I grow Mexican Flame vine with the jasmine in one area and they co-exist fine. You don't think I'd have the same luck with the climbing aster? I was going to plant it in an area where the jasmine hasn't filled in a lot yet.

There's an azalea a couple feet from the fence, so maybe I could let the aster climb through that or would it look crappy when not in bloom?

Here's the area where I'm thinking about planting it.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looks like it won't be available until spring from Brushwood. Maybe just as well.

Sponsored