Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenias at the end of August!

Posted by organic_kitten 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 20:14

I usually have a second really good bloom on the gardenia sometime in July that is not as "floriferous" as the spring bloom, but very nice.

But, with the abysmal heat this year, there was no second flush this summer although most weeks I did have a single bloom.

But today while working on my new flower bed, I glanced over and saw white. There were about ten little gardenias on the newer gardenia bushes! I have a half dozen here on the desk and the sweet smell is fabulous. Who would have expected that?

I suppose the extreme heat slackening off (finally) and the good rain we (finally) got a few days ago is what prompted it, but whatever caused it makes me very happy.
kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenias at the end of August!

That sounds wonderful. Do you have the gardenas were you can smell them while you are out gardening? I know that they smell divine. Maybe they will just keep blooming now into the fall.

o

Rita,
They are on the other side of the yard from where I am currently putting in the rose garden. But the little vase of them on my desk smells wonderful.
kay

o

Kay- Your gardenias sound amazing! Do you have any pictures? They're one of my mom's favorites, but we can't grow them here, at least now without a greenhouse :)

o

I just planted my first two gardenias and I put one on each side of my backyard. My patio is in the middle, so I'm hoping I'll be able to smell them when I'm sitting outside. After I bought these, I heard there was a creeping variety, so I may buy it also and put it at the edge of my patio. I love the smell of gardenias, so I sure hope they don't die on me.

Laurie

o

Lavender Lass and Laurie,

I posted the pictures this spring of the gardenias covering the bush. I cut these bushes back pretty heavily this year, but they have replaced everything I pruned, I think.

As you can see, the bloom is very light now, but gardenias are gardenias and I love the fragrance. They have been blooming for a couple of weeks now and are still producing this light scattering of blooms. Alot of them wind up on my desk or get carried to work with me.
kay

gardenias 9-3-10

Not a tenth of spring bloom, but very welcome anyway.
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here