Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Annie, I owe you big!!

organic_kitten
13 years ago

I have had a Choral Fantasy daylily since I first started the daylily mania. It has been a wonderful bloomer and repeat bloomer. I love the way it looks.

I realized (belatedly) that it wasn't looking healthy, and thought it was the heat and the drought, so I started paying particular attention to watering it. It continued to look pitiful, and then the last green leaf turn yellow then brown and died.

I continued to water and was rewarded by little green fans poking through the soil. Then I (belatedly again) realized that ants had made a home on the lily. I remembered your tip about soap powder killing off ants, or running them away so I sprinkled the plant with gain and watered it in.

The ants are gone. Thank you so much for sharing that tip with me. I'm sure it would have died otherwise.

Here are pictures of Choral Fantasy in bloom:

{{gwi:667515}}

{{gwi:743648}}

kay

Comments (8)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

That is gorgeous. I guess I missed the tip about soap powder. Thanks to you and Annie. We have ants by the zillions sometimes.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Ha ha ha.
    You are so welcome.
    That is great!

That is a beautiful daylily.

Soap powder gets rid of fleas and ticks too and all hard shelled or exoskeletal insects and bugs. Bye bye Fire ants! It softens their skeletons or shells and they die. Helps kill off mosquitoes harboring in wet grasses and flowerbeds too.

Go easy on it. Use a fertilizer spreader for the lawn and large areas. I take a box of Gain or Tide with me when I go camping too. Works great to keep your whole campsite clear of things that bite.

~Annie

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Kay that is absolutely gorgeous,TFS

Annie,you're just a wealth of information,i didn't know about the soap powder either.The other day i was out in one garden working and the ants were so plentiful and crawling all over me that i quit and came in.First i sprinkled the expensive ant powder,and now i can use my tide.Thanks a million times for that little tidbit of info,i'll have to et my sister in on it as well.
    Kathi

• memo3
    13 years ago

You are a wealth of information, Annie! Bless your heart for sharing so generously.

What a gorgeous daylily! I'm so happy you were able to save it :)

MeMo

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Memo,
    It is a favorite of mine, and a very bountiful bloomer with long term bloom and rebloom. I was sick about losing it, especially since it was sold out, but it has now put up 3 little fans.

And I owe it all to Annie and her tip.
    kay

• mcr1968
    13 years ago

Beautiful daylily! I am so happy you were able to save it. I am definitely adding that one to my plants wishlist. Great tip Annie! Got any tips for moles?

• mamasllamas
    13 years ago

borax and sugar work for me on ants

• Pat z6 MI
    13 years ago

Annie! You wonderful woman. You are always so generous with your sweet tales and tips. I can't wait to try Tide on the mosquitoes tomorrow when I am outside!!!! And, yes, please do tell of your mole solution. Our yard is a mole mine field, worse than ever before. Eliminating grubs isn't the answer!!
    Pat

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living