Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Picture of my first few roses on Darlow's Enigma :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Here's a picture of my first few roses on Darlow's Enigma. Big plant, small flowers :)

I like this picture, but you can't tell how small it is.

{{gwi:744190}}

Here's another rose (top left) with the white cosmos. It's pretty small, but very cute.

{{gwi:744191}}

Comments (6)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Congrats... Do you like the fragrance? It's not the typical rose fragrance, but something heavier. It reminded me more of oriental lily fragrance than rose.

Lois in PA

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lois- Honestly, there aren't enough roses blooming to really check the fragrance. Once some more open, I should be able to smell them...it's so dry here, it doesn't carry fragrances the way it does with the humidity. I remember visiting my grandmother in South Carolina and you could stand on the porch and smell the flowers in the yard...especially in the evening :)

• roxanna
    13 years ago

believe me, when your Darlow's Enigma is as big as mine (8 x 4 feet) the scent will greet you from quite a distance! i love the scent. yes, the flowers are small, but they bloom in clusters that are as big at least as my hand. it has a main bloom time in June (i think - this year has been weird for bloom timing - not normal at all) and another sparse flush of more right about now. i love this rose - not showy, perhaps, but quietly lovely.

• Annie
    13 years ago

I am so pleased for your Enigma!
    Happy gardening days.

I got mine two springs ago. It bloomed well on one branch this year, but not overall. It appears to be concentrating on putting on growth first. I expect that is a major miracle and blessing that it is at least thriving in this drought and heat.

Can't wait for it to bloom so much that I will be able to enjoy it's heady clove fragrance. Mmmmm...

I planted mine in front of Climbing Red Blaze. They are mingling happily together. D. Enigma's dainty foliage is covering Blaze's naked canes and Blaze is providing sturdy canes for Enigma to climb. Their color combination and different bloom sizes should make for a pretty bouquet next year.

Maybe next year you and I will have something spectacular to share on here. :)

~Annie

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

What a cute little rose LL ;-) And LOOK at all the buds on it. And this was only a first year rose?? Must really enjoy all that manure you put around it, lol!
    Make sure to post more pics once this guy gets bigger and is covered with blooms!
    CMK

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I know exactly what size the flowers are as I have two shrubs of Darlow's Enigma myself. I think it is a very nice rose. Hardy and carefree too. Yours looks very nice.