Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Dessert tonight.....yummmmm!

mary_lu_gw
13 years ago

My raspberries are starting to ripen. I couldn't resist taking a picture and also eating a bowl with ice cream.

This is the first real picking of the year. Earlier this week I picked a handful for eating, but with this heat we are having, they are really starting to ripen.

Do any of you grow raspberries in your cottage garden?

Comments (10)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Not yet, but I hope to have a few plants next spring. Also a couple blueberry plants.

Lois in PA

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Our raspberries are finished for the year, had a really good crop, we ate a lot fresh and I have lots in the freezer to make jam and vinegar later. What variety are you growing, we have Tulameen.

Annette

• natal
    13 years ago

Lucky you! You could make ice cream. Here's one that doesn't require a machine.

Here is a link that might be useful: raspberry ice cream from GW cooking forum

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I do, but haven't had them long enough for a harvest; mine are black.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I have brambles here and there in the orchard, and blackberries growing along the edge of the field. Some years those get rust, but mostly the canes are vigorous and produce huge berries. I did not pick a one of the brambles and now the blackberries are nearly gone. Not to mention that I have to fight all manner of weeds, vines and brush to get at them.

I think they were some red raspberries down there during the early years when I first moved here, but I haven't noticed them for a very long time. Yours look great!

• neverenoughflowers
    13 years ago

We just replanted 100 raspberry plants after mowing them down a few years ago. The canes are growing and we picked about 2 cups this summer. We are looking forward to them coming back like gangbusters next year. We also have 5 blueberry bushes that we picked several quarts from this year. I made at least 6 deep dish blueberry pies plus some other treats. It was our best year ever for blueberries.

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

How fabulous does that look - gorgeous big plump berries.

I used to have a big raspberry patch out in my vegie garden - but when I was out of town for those years it was neglected got overrun with weeds and we ultimately cleared it out. I plan to replant this fall. Loved them! Love the black raspberries as well but you can't plant them within pollination distance of the red ones. The place where I used to have those is now taken by one of my husband's dog kennels. :(

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds like quite a few of you do grow fruits in your cottage garden. Isn't it fun to be able to walk out and pick fresh fruit right in your own yard? :-)

My RBs are Heritage, an ever bearing raspberry. With these you can either grow 2 crops or 1 depending on how you cut back the canes. I elect to have one large fall crop and therefore cut all canes back in late winter/early spring.

I normally have strawberries too, but cleaned out that garden this spring as it had become over run by weeds. I will be replanting those next spring.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Enjoy! I have to admit I don't care for raspberries, but they are so pretty!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

We planted some purple royalty raspberries this year and I hope to plant some red raspberries next year. Yours are beautiful and make me wish I'd planted more this year.

We planted lots of blueberries and strawberries, too. My mom was cleaning out her strawberry bed and I took a bunch to put under and between the blueberries and purple raspberries. Anything to keep the weeds down! The birds will probably eat most of the strawberries, but they make a great edible groundcover :)

Sponsored