Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Cameron Help!!!

I'm pretty sure you have this plant, I came across it in one of my nursery jaunts, after seeing yours I just had to have. The tag has disappeared and my bad, I didn't enter it in my plant file. I need you or someone to dust off my memory bank LOL. It hasn't bloomed yet so I don't even have flowers to jog my memory :(.

Annette

Comments (16)

• bobbygil
    12 years ago

Hi...might be Hummelo Monieri Stachys. Forms a neat mound and sends up purple flowers late spring. Just a guess. bobby

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bobbygil, that name seems to ring a bell. I'm sure that's it, thank you.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

Annette, here's a picture of my Stachys hummelo for comparison. The flowers are about shot. It looks pretty similar to yours.

TM

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks TM, now I'm sure that's what I bought, doesn't look like mine is going to bloom this year. It stayed in it's pot throughout the winter, planted out only a couple of months ago so maybe I'll have to wait till next year to see it bloom.

Annette

• DYH
    12 years ago

Sorry that I just now saw this! Stachys hummelo can take a year or so to bloom. You'll probably get a spectacular display in your zone. Mine is glorious until the 100 degree day-after-day summer weather takes the toll. I had to divide mine this spring and it is easy to do when yours matures enough for division.

Just to make you want to grow stachys hummelo en masse.... take a look at what I saw at The Battery Gardens in NYC (designed by Piet Oudolf).

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Oudolf's Stachys Spires

• Annie
    12 years ago

Cameron,
    Your profile picture on your Blog is pure Heaven to me! (drool drool).

And, Stachys hummelo is simply gorgeous! Lucky youz guyz can have such beautiful flowers where you live!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Cameron, your pics of S. hummelo have me wanting to buy a couple more, alas the one I bought last year is the only one I've ever seen for sale in the nurseries and garden centers I frequent, I think it an absolutely gorgeous plant when in bloom. I was looking at your blog last night trying to see if I'd recognize it :). I'm glad you said it might not bloom for a year or two, I was beginning to wonder what I was doing wrong.

Annette

• DYH
    12 years ago

I wish my s. hummelo looked good through the summer heat.

The problem (in my garden) with mass plantings is the extremes we now have in weather. My cottage garden looked great until end of June.... it hasn't looked good since. Right now, it's so bad I want to rip it out, but then I look at the April-June photos and get encouraged to leave it!

The outer deer resistant garden is just now starting to come back. We finally got rain today -- probably 4 inches after 6 weeks of almost none -- with so many 100 degree days.

Cameron

• thinman
    12 years ago

Cameron - I enjoyed your great article and photos of the garden at The Battery. It seems like a basically simple design, but it sure looks super. My hummelo is on its third year and the group of three plants is just starting to look like something this year. I have nepeta, monarda, and echinacea too, but they are distant from the hummelo. Maybe I should be doing some rearranging. Hmmmm.

TM

• DYH
    12 years ago

TM - glad you enjoyed the article. There are three stories in that series. A Monarch butterfly greeted me when I arrived there! My husband and I were so surprised by the hundreds of people totally ignoring the gardens as they got in line for ferries to Statue of Liberty, etc. Made me think that gardeners are few in the overall population.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Cameron, I visit your blog from time to time, I've never left a comment as I don't blog or have a website and don't know if I can leave comments, not very savy in this department.

I do love the pics and articles on your beautiful garden, travels tho, very inspirational.

Annette

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Not trying to get OT but do any others find this plant has a terrible smell? It is very acrid, much stronger than s.May Night and boxwood combined. It only was rank when stepped on, but it really turned my stomach.

I'd like to divide mine, but I don't know that I could stand it.

Noses are individual, aren't they?
    idabean

Original Author
    12 years ago

idabean, now you've got me curious, I didn't notice any scent coming off the plant when planting out and I'm sure I must have pulled one or two ratty looking leaves off when doing so. After I've had my coffee I'll go out, pick and crumple a leaf, stick my nose close, but not too close just in case LOL.

Annette

• DYH
    12 years ago

Haven't noticed a smell, but I haven't actually sniffed the leaves or the blooms. Didn't notice a smell at all when I dug up and divided clumps this spring.

Hmmm.... probably why it is deer, rabbit and other critter resistant.

Cameron

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

If you guys like 'Hummelo' you might also be interested in a dwarf form called Stachys minima. I have mine tucked under a little blue fescue grass and it is adorable. I also learned that there is a new cultivar called 'Pink Cotton Candy' that is similar to 'Hummelo' only a light pink color. A local plant sale is going to have it this fall and I am debating whether or not to get it (i.e. whether or not I can find the space), LOL.
    CMK

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I just went out and picked a leaf, couldn't smell a thing until I squished it between my fingers then it had the scent of a immature green bean when snapped and held to my nose, nothing I can't live with.

Christin, you are SOOOOO bad :) those two are VERY pretty.

Annette

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County