Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

The Fruited Branch

This years growing season will draw to a close sooner than most of us would like. As the Autumn progresses, and most flowers fade away, we will rely more heavily on textures, fall colors in foliage, and ornamental fruit for garden interest.

I thought it would be fun to start a thread about decorative fruit/berries in the garden.

I know I will likely be thought idiotic for saying this, but there is something so delightful to me in a branch laden with fruit, edible or not. It brings to my mind a provincial picture of harvest, or a woodland where creatures and wildlife can come to feast on fruit. Fruiting plants are one of those naturalistic curiosities that I secretly adore, along with such things like moss, lichens, mushrooms, and cones (like conifers).

I think every garden needs to have at least one fruiting plant. They add so much interest in fall, and even winter. I didn't know I had so many until I looked in my garden for them.

Here are some of the plants (perennials, shrubs, vines, trees, etc.) with fruits:

Mountain Ash tree. Has clusters of garishly bright orange fruit. Starlings are partial to them. For many years I never even looked twice at the berries, but now I am always on the lookout for first orange blush. The color does compliment the late-summer colors.

Symphoricarpos doorenbosii 'Amethyst' (aka 'Kordes') is known as Coral Berry shrub. This cultivar has bubble-gum pink oval berries. I am so in love with this shrub. So unusual. The common species, known as Snowberry, has white fruit. Dainty foliage and flowers.

Chaenomeles. Quince shrub. Has edible fruit that turn a yellow color when ready to use. I made a spoonful of jam last year and it was wonderful. Beautiful flowers in early spring.

Lonicera (Honeysuckle) have berries. I have a few Honeysuckle shrubs that produce bright red berries that the birds like. My honeysuckle vines also have berries, which I didn't know until last year.

Virgina Creeper has beautiful powdery blue clusters and red foliage in fall.

Rose hips are interesting. Some of the species have oblong hips I think.

St. John's Wort. Bought my 'Albury Purple' last year. It is just starting to put on little fruit. So cute!

Gaultheria procumbens- Wintergreen. Has sweet bell flowers in spring and red fruit later in the year. I bought mine last year with fruit on it. I ate one and it tasted minty. Bad texture though, so I let the birds have them. ;-)

I also have a patch of raspberries that I find very attractive in fruit.

Red Twig Dogwood, Barberry, and Yew have a few berries as well, though not in great abundance.

So, what decorative fruit/berries do you have in your garden?

CMK

Comments (3)

• godsacre
    14 years ago

Hi Christin!
    I for one look forward to the changing season. It gets too hot and humid here and stays there too long. And I work in a very hot plastics plant.
    I am really enjoying the sight of my first apples on my three year old espalier. Even if they turn out to be inedidble they are pretty. The previous owners left us a full size crab apple. I just wish it bore red fruit instead of yellow. I like fruit to contrast the green foliage. We have bright red fruit clusters on the sweet bay magnolia.

LOL I had to remove an unidentified weed I let grow this summer. It had beautiful foliage, grew tall and symetrical, filled a void in our privacy screen, and had little flowers that would bear little berries for the little birds. I have two little granddaughters here. The plant turned out to be pokeweed :o !
    I was suprised how quickly our young Hollies have filled up with red berries that last the winter. We have been here less than 5 years. Our pumpkins (if they bear up) and volunteer squash will adorn the garden until Thanksgiving, for which we will be grateful. We will leave at least a few Mammoth sunflowers up for the birds and to border the neighbors bare cornfield. Off topic but The vegetable garden will do whatever it wants once the last of the harvest is in. Once we get frozen ground I will turn it over with compost. Also our Oak, River Birch and Dogwood, have grown wonderfully over the past year, so I look forward to the fall foliage.
    At least please Lord, get us back into the low seventies.

Thanks for helping me to think about more comfortable times.
    Duane

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

I have an old apple tree that came with the house. It's very pretty and bears quite a bit of fruit. We eat what we can reach and the deer and the horses end up with the ones that fall on the ground.

I planted some blueberries this year. They have such nice year round interest and they're edible. Once they get old enough to bear fruit, it will be nice to get a few before the birds find them :) I'd rather share with the birds, than have to deal with covering the plants.

For next year, I'm hoping to get some purple raspberries, which sound very intriguing. Has anyone tried these?

• angelcub
    14 years ago

The apple trees are full. I'm hoping the rats (Ca. ground squirrels) share a few with me. ; )

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus