Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyinwv

naked Ladies

tammyinwv
11 years ago

I love these flowers. But I dont remember them having this beautiful ink stained petals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Naked Ladies

Comments (9)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the shot of it against the bluish juniper. Funny this should come up, as I was thinking just the other day that I had meant to give this plant a try some day. Any special growing requirements for this fella?? Glad to read on your blog that they come back/expand in clump size yearly. I am kind of 'done' with bulbs that don't naturalize or arn't reliable, lol.

Thanks for showing!
    CMK

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I dont know about requirements on this one but they seem to thrive on neglect. The area these bulbs are planted has poor soil with lots of clay. The plant is surrounded on both sides by the juniper. But it faces full sun. i dont do anything with it. no fertilizing..nothing. It has come back reliably yr after yr. It is rather slow at spreading, which at times can be a good thing. I have had it for prob going on 10 yrs, and the number of flowers MAY have doubled in that time.
    It always looks healthy, and bright.
    tammy

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Ditto what tammy says. Mine are in the middle of a phlox, daylily, yucca, privet hedge jungle, in semi shade. I can never remember they are there until one morning I walk out and here is this tall flower. I always called them Magic Lilys, didn't know about the Naked Lady moniker.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I used to have these when I lived in OH. They were very reliable there, I miss those! The red ones here (L. radiata) just aren't as pretty, IMO. Was checking just now since I couldn't remember if they are native or not and the USDA plants database entry for this plant is most unusual, showing it only in OH and TN. Anyone know why, or how they decide these things?

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That does seem strange. I would be interested in learning more about that as well.
    tammy

• lily51
    11 years ago

We've called them miracle Lillie's, and they are always a nice surprise . Mine are in the midst of a perennial bed, and some showed up on the edge of one of our corn fields this year.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Purpleinopp - the USDA database entry abbreviations can be confusing. This plant says" L48 I" which means that it is Introduced in the lower 48 states. OH and TN are green which means that it grows outside of gardens in at least some counties in that state; it has naturalized populations escaped from gardens in those 2 states. If you want to know which counties in which it has naturalized, click on the state and you will get a state map.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Nhbabs, thanks, that's why I use USDA plants, to see which are native. It's odd that naturalization would "skip a state," and that it would only affect 2. The map for this plant has no clickable county info.

But it's often a little behind the times. The entry for L. radiata doesn't include any counties in AL and I can promise you these things are EVERYWHERE when they bloom, an escaped garden plant if ever there was such.

• ianna
    11 years ago

Nice opening line. I have a neighbor that constantly walks half naked in front of her window and in direct view of at least 3 houses. It was my husband who reported this to me.. Hahah.

Your lilies are very sweet and beautiful. I am reminded to move mine to another location as it seemed to be overwhelmed the butterfly bush beside it.

Sponsored