Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

obsessive compulsions

louisianagal
12 years ago

Not entirely cottage related, but I go for walks with my dog each evening. I see a thousand things that I want to fix in the neighborhood. This shrub needs pruning, this tree needs trimming - the branches are way too low, these suckers need to be removed, etc. Well there is a house with 2 or 3 pear trees and an apple, outside of the fenced yard on the side right at the street. These trees are loaded and the fruit falls and rots. I pick up a few fruits, what I can carry. The fruit is beautiful on the tree. The branches are heavy and pulled down and breaking! Finally I see the guy out and ask him about the fruit. He says "help yourself" the trees were only a foot tall when I moved here and I can't really use the fruit. "Wait" my husband says, embarrassed, "that's not all" and then I ask if I can prune the trees. He says yes! I feel like a fool but it has bugged me for years! I will not waste the fruit as I know someone at work who will take whatever produce you have as they are poor. By the way, the pears are somewhat hard but can be eaten fresh, I guess they are cooking pears. I skin them, cut them up, put in dish with butter and brown sugar and bake them in micro. They are delicious! I bet would be great over vanilla ice cream.

Does this make me crazy? The obsession I mean.

Comments (6)

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

I have the same obsessions.

I want to clean the junk from other peoples' yards.
    Water and prune the plants that need it.

Get rid of those landscape timber beds right in the middle of yards.

Paint the houses with peeling or faded paint.

At times when I mention something that we just passed to another person in the car or walking with me, they must have tunnel vision because they did not see NOTHING.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I Need you 2 to live on either side of me!!! You could be like garden mentors! Come have a look and see what needs to be done, then make me a list of chores, cuz I really don't have a clue and am bumbling along.
    For example: I just reaped the rewards of deadheading: Who knew stuff would reflower, how cool is that!!!
    But I find myself getting overwhelmed and not knowing what to do as so much needs to get done! My garden/yard is only survived me this year because of the mild weather we have had, that it has not comlpetely fried! It is all barely hanging on. (did not get the watering system set up)
    Maybe Aftermidnight would be my Garden mentor if I asked!

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Good for you louisianagal!

When we used to yard sale regularly I always bought those pathetic uncared for houseplants that people put out in the hot sun when they are barely surviving due to neglect. I just wanted to rescue them and give them a better life! They always came back when cared for. Right away I'd share my drinking water with them, then at home I'd prune a bit, clean pot and new soil, and baby along for awhile - it worked wonders. However I almost hated to see them at yard sales as I knew I couldn't leave them and was buying myself another project! I always paid whatever they asked if it was reasonable - usually 50 cents or less.

I've also done the same with pets but that's another story!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Pear butter is as good as apple butter. You can make it in the oven.

Here is a link that might be useful: pear butter

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

My MOM used to can winter pears, they were the BEST for canning as they stayed nice and firm....YUUUMMMY!

• Annie
    12 years ago

When I go to nurseries or Garden Centers, I deadhead and pull weeds out of pots. It bugs me! I also weed my family member's flowerbeds or containers in front of businesses when I am visiting them or walking down the street. I also "rescue" plants thrown by the wayside or facing a bulldozer. Poor things! Lowe's lets me rescue all their trimmings, too. I ask and they always say "Sure! Take 'em!"
    The deadheading really bugs some people though.

BTW, those pears make delicious Pear Butter, and Pear Mincemeat too. Both are much tastier than apple, IMHO. Raccoons got all my pears last week. They were small on account of the drought, but there were plenty of them and I was sure looking forward to making them into Pear Butter. Oh, well. The wildlife needed it more than I did this year, I guess.
    Lucky you to get the fruit!
    (And...if anyone wants my recipe for either, I will post it/them in a new topic.)

It might be Obsessive/Compulsive, but I think most gardeners do things like that. As long as you aren't overstepping your boundaries, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

~Annie