Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

need latest on hand cleaner

louisianagal
13 years ago

Look, I am a nurse. I scrub my hands. They still look dirty. They are actually stained. I wear gloves, but how do I still get dirty? The end of the glove tears or I start some gardening chore before I realize it I'm dirty.

I need clean hands and nails. What is the best product in your opinion?

Comments (10)

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I find it is helpful to put hand lotion on before I go into the garden. The lotion gets into the tiny cracks in the skin and the dirt seems to stay out more.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I use mineral oil when they get really bad, and then scrub with an emery board.
    Renee

• gldno1
    13 years ago

When we had the dairy, I wore blue nitrile gloves to milk. They work so well, I continued to wear them outside under my stretch gardening gloves. You will get sweaty but if no grime is your goal they sure do work.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Well nobody is going to want to do this (especially with all the hot weather) but the best thing I've found is to do a sinkful of dishes. If I don't feel like washing dirty dishes, I wash my wine glasses or china...just to give them a sparkle. Soaking your hands in dishwater seems to do the trick...and my dishes look better, too :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Lemon juice is great for removing stains from hands and from under nails - use a nail brush. But for a couple of years I've been using a bar of soap especially for gardeners that I buy at a local nursery. It's expensive, $4.50 - $5 a bar. Works much like Lava soap probably, much nicer smell though.
    I can not remember the name of it, but I bet if you Google "Gardener's Soap" you'll find something.

• Pat z6 MI
    13 years ago

A friend recently told me she learned this tip from her gardening group: Scratch bar soap until soap is completely under nails. This will keep dirt from getting under nails also. I haven't tried it yet because my nails aren't on display like yours are.
    I also agree with putting on a rich, greasy hand or body lotion before gardening. It helps.
    Pat

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I use oxy clean spray. It is the only thing I've found that improves gardener's hands enough to pass for nurse's hands.
    kay

• roxanna
    13 years ago

i am not affiliated with this place - just recommend it in general as a terrific business to deal with, if you haven't. leevalley.com has a wonderful product called "Gloves in a Bottle" which i have used for many years. do check it out, it's great stuff!

Gloves in a Bottle®

This non-toxic, hypoallergenic lotion works like a pair of gloves.
    It is absorbed into the skin to form a one-way barrier that will last about four hours against a wide range of environmental irritants.

Unlike gloves, it allows the skin to breathe and perspire normally. Effective protection against grease, solvents, thinners, paint, herbicides, pesticides, epoxies, glues, cement, lime, gasoline, diesel, poison oak, poison ivy, and industrial detergents.

Also helps protect against reactions to latex gloves. Substances that would normally cause stains or odors are easily washed away.

Ideal for woodworkers, homemakers and gardeners alike. Made in USA.

Gloves in a Bottle®, 2 fl oz
    25K90.20 $5.20

Gloves in a Bottle®, 8 fl oz
    25K90.21 $14.50

• rosiew
    13 years ago

I warm up about 5 parts water to 1 part bleach, plus a dash of dishwashing liquid soap. Then soak my hands, one at a time, using a nail brush or old toothbrush as needed. Rinse well, nails clean as new!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Rosie, I was going to recommend bleach for nails and dawn dish soap for hands. I'm going to try the combination.

I do know that straight bleach (if you don't paint your nails) is wonderful for restoring color, soak them for a minute or two, but I'd do Rosie's recipe.

Other than that, nothing is better than Dawn and a nail brush. Another thing I use is Bath and Body Works liquid soap that has pieces of grit in it. Smells great, the soap is pretty, lol, and it does the job.

Oh, another thing is a metal nail file with a sharp point. I got one for Christmas in a nail kit and I keep it on the coffee table and it gets under the nail really far.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations