Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
limequilla_gw

Cottage Flowers for more shade than most flowers prefer.

limequilla
17 years ago

Hi all --

I have a shady slope that is sometimes really shady and sometimes has western sun, it all depends on the month of the year and how high the sun is in the sky. Right now, I can grow Cleome, feverfew and rudbeckia speciosum (although the three together look like hell)

Are there any other flowers that would take these conditions? Maybe something slightly weedy. Naturally, being the lazy gardener, I am hoping for somethng which will self sow and have short roots in case I need to yank it up.

This area is also pretty dry and I don't want to have to water except a couple of times a summer.

Thanks,

Lime

Comments (9)

• party_music50
    17 years ago

Hesperis (Dame's Rocket) would be perfect for the conditions! :) but that's for late spring / early summer bloom in zone 5. I don't know how easy/hard it is to yank though... I've never tried to yank mine, except when they were seedlings.

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Corydalis lutea prefers shade, self-seeds, is easy to pull out. It has small yellow flowers from May until Frost and always looks neat and clean. Find someone who has it, they will give you plenty for free.

• lavendrfem
    17 years ago

I grew Rose Milkweed in a partly shady location (under pine trees) - maybe you could try that. That self-seeds. And it will also attract butterflies.

• nancyjeanmc
    17 years ago

Wow, they are beautiful. The gov calls them invasive, but they look almost like a lilac. I could think of worse things to be "invaded" by.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Milkweed

• debbieca
    17 years ago

I have a spot like that, shady garden but in summer gets brutal afternoon sun over a break in the roofline of the house. I am experimenting, but so far phlox David is doing quite well and blooming. It is first year plant. I am also thinking I will add a dwarf red leaved barbary of some sort. Strawberries and begonias do NOT like these conditions :)
    You can also try echinacea and geum.

• faltered
    17 years ago

Daylilies should work for you in that spot. Calendula might be all right there, too.

Tracy

• limequilla
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everybody -- I think I have enough to go on. I never thought of milkweed as a garden plant. Uh, is this the same kind that's out in the farmer's fields? Has anybody ever cut it as a vase flower? The reason I ask is because I would never want it to go to seed (is that right? It's invasive because it self sows? Or underground runners?) and using it as a cut flower sort of guarantees it won't be around to set seed.

Anyway, thanks a million for the ideas..
    Lime

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

Lime,

Since the area is on a slope, and you don't want to water more than twice a summer, have you considered native wildflowers, native grasses or some kind of groundcover native to your zone?

As far as specifics, I try to pay close attention to what the highway dept. plants in medians and along the highway. That's usually a pretty good indicator of what will thrive in your area with minimal care.

Marilyn

• limequilla
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're so funny, Marilyn.. this is Indiana -- the highway dept grows grass where it's flat and crown vetch where it's steeply sloped. That's it. Ladybird did your state a huge favor in the 60s, believe me!

We get a lot more rain than you get, so it's not like it will be *that* dry. I just didn't want somebody to say hostas or something. I want it to look like the pictures here on the forum, but I have a feeling their cottage gardens are more well-planned than they let on... Maybe white hesperis, cleome, and milkweed. That would be awfully pretty in pink and white. A little scent from the hesperis will be nice, too.

Is white hesperis seed I should look for in the seed exchange or bite the bullet and order it?

Lime

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County