Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaglesight

The First Book of the Lasagna Bed

eaglesight
18 years ago

In the beginning there was the lawn and the lawn was bare. And eaglesight spoke, "Let us build a lasagna bed." And it was so.

And eaglesight's small children kept picking up the garden tools. And eaglesight commanded, "Let the garden tools go." But the children were stiffnecked and walked in the imaginations of their own heart in thinking they could do the strip-and-flip to prepare the lasagna bed.

So eaglesight gave up and took some pictures.

And eaglesight finally managed to get the tools back and finish the strip-and-flip job.

And the evening and the morning were the first day.

And eaglesight got the weathered wood 4x4's that had anchored the old shed and put them around the bed.

And eaglesight begged her husband to get grass clippings and leaves out of other people's trash. And the husband was mortified, and would not do it. And eaglesight prevailed over her husband and finally talked him into it. And the husband was wroth when someone's bag of grass clippings peed on his leg.

But eaglesight had her materials for the lasagna bed. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

And eaglesight spread the grass clippings in alternating layers with pizza cartons and dry leaves. And the children were pleased to finally get their hands dirty doing something. And eaglesight saw that it was good.

And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Then eaglesight rested from her labors for a really long time. And she kept waiting for the man from church to drop off her free load of dirt he promised that he would give to her. And eaglesight began to be impatient.

Then the load of dirt was brought unto eaglesight's home. And eaglesight saw that it was good. It was like unto the local dirt, full of clay, but of a good texture and earthy smell. And eaglesight saw that it was good.

And eaglesight spread a layer of it over the lasagna bed. Then the children helped her plant a bunch of winter-sown seedlings. And eaglesight saw that they meant well and let them help as much as she could stand to.

And it was good.

And eaglesight had no idea if this lasagna garden thing would even work out.

Lo, what is this sight of really tall flower stalks and long watermelon vines? What means this profusion of marigolds and alyssum flower? Oh, the bolted lettuce that never was picked! The sugar peas that died of drought! My heart was exceeding joyful within me and laughter filled mine ears.

{{gwi:746127}}

And lo, eaglesight was pleased to see that the marigolds were 30% bigger than those planted in plain soil, and that the watermelon starts she gave unto the neighbor have barely reached a foot of growth.

And eaglesight discovered that her daughter could enter her zinnias and marigolds into the fair junior flower show. And she spake with her daughter, and her daughter was pleased with the idea. So on August 25, yea, we will discover the secrets of exactly how well these plants stack up. And lo, eaglesight had committed herself to a month of making sure everything was watered.

And eaglesight rested from her labors of weeding and mowing. And it was good.

I hope no one was offended or found this to be sacriligious. I started to type and the first sentence came out the way it did and I just had to go with it. LOL

Comments (29)

• PurpleRainbow
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

And Mother Nature looked at Eaglesight's labors and that she had help from her children and smiled and blessed the labors of love of Eaglesight and her children. And Eaglesight and her children learned what is the true meaning of miracle grow. Yea, it is very good.
    :o)color>

• gauralady
    18 years ago

And the children waxed strong in their labors and followeth the counsel of their parents which was pleasing unto them. Surely lasagna beds and winter sowing shall follow them all the days of their lives.

• Hawthorn_Cottage
    18 years ago

Now l know what a Lasagne bed is, that's saved me having to ask someone, it seems to work............thanks.

• gldno1
    18 years ago

What a clever bunch of gardeners we have here! I enjoyed the saga very much.

Thanks all.

gld

• bobkat13
    18 years ago

I found that the way you told your story was hilarious, and LO - I found the lasagna bed good! Bless you, my child.

• LeslieL
    18 years ago

And unto the world another lasagna gardener was born. Amen. : )

• leidie
    18 years ago

Darn good fun! And helpful, too. I never thought of the Pizza cartons, and boy, oh boy, with 3 teenagers around I've got pizza cartons. Thanks for the idea!

L.A.

• faltered
    18 years ago

This was so clever and cute! What great photos. And so nice that your children helped with the project. I bet they're so proud when they go outside and look at that garden! What wonderful flowers. And a great story.

Tracy

• peat_moss
    18 years ago

Such a lovely story. You should print that and save it for your children when they're grown. You could have the kids help you with the cover of the book. Maybe press some flowers to decorate it. Things like that are much appreciated, sometimes more at a later date.

Ann

• fammsimm
    18 years ago

Ahhh....victory is sweet! :-)

Great job eaglesight, plus you have an adorable lawn crew. Best of luck with your entry in the junior flower show!

Marilyn

• Carol_WA
    18 years ago

How great was that! I loved it. Oh I wish I were as talented. Good job on your lasagna bed.

• georich5
    18 years ago

As we say in Catholic Girls School......aaaaAAAAAaaaamennnnn!
    Well, we really said Ahh-men!

Wonderful Garden Liturgy, georgeanne

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

As you soweth, so shall you reapeth...or something like that. I enjoyed your story of the lasagna bed very much. Mayhaps, eaglesight's small children might be prevailed to go forth into the world, yea into every corner of the world, and maketh lasagna beds for all? North Carolina is lovely and hot this summer! LOL!
    Teresa

• Vikki1747
    18 years ago

Eaglesight, that was wonderful! You and the kids in the dirt. You obviously have the patience of Job. ...yea varily...and there were those among them who were "saved" (see Hawthorn Cottage's response)and a special place was prepared for those who spread the word of the Lasagna Beds that they might spend eternity in a heavenly garden. Vikki

• Steveningen
    18 years ago

Bravo! This should be published. I'm a convert to Lasagna Beds.

• BecR
    18 years ago

Well done & well said. Ahh-men! LOL!

Becky

• puppy3
    18 years ago

Very clever, wish I would have thought of that when the kids were home.

• getyourleash
    18 years ago

Wonderful story! I thanketh you. Your bairns (Children) are adorable! And I thinketh that I must attempteth a lasagna garden!

That watermelon is Soooo CUTE. I love watermelon leaves.

• Raney10
    18 years ago

That is an adorable story. You are very talented and you and your children did a marvelous job on your Lasagna Bed.

Raney

• heatherisnotaweed
    17 years ago

Oh yes, EAglesite, print and save, your kids will love reading that when they are grown, your grandkids will too!

Heather

• blossomgirl
    17 years ago

Very Very clever---I would submit to a magazine...

Gigi

• queenamy
    17 years ago

Who can find a worthy woman? For her price is far above rubies.

Her children rise up and call her blessed. Her husband also praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you excel them all."

Give her of the fruit of her hands! Let her works praise her in the gates!

Amy

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

and it WAS good, eaglesight! Very, very good.

I agree that it's a "keeper".

Thanks for sharing it!

Patti

• friend
    17 years ago

newbie here..
    Laughing and loving this story.

( now- what exactly is a lasagna bed? want to make sure I understand..) haha

queenamy- nice response!

I also liked this one:
    Surely lasagna beds and winter sowing shall follow them all the days of their lives.

Those kids are precious and the bed came out wonderfully!

• dancegypsy
    17 years ago

That was absolutely adorable! eaglesight, YOU are a blessing!! Please add update pictures to this thread; I'd love to see how your bed is doing now.

For those of us who have just recently discovered the lasagna bed concept -- and as a 58 year old gardener, believe me I'm rejoicing!! -- "The First Book of the Lasagna Bed" was a great find.

z6a friend in NJ: I'm sure by now you've found this, but if not, google Pat Lanza, who wrote the book. I'm online tonight to order copies for myself and my S-I-L. No more digging in rocks, roots and hard clay. I'm elated!!

• fernsk
    17 years ago

Kudos to you Eaglesight - both for the efforts of your lasagna bed and the wonderful saga

Fern

P.S. I too am lasagna gardening - in a new perennial bed but.... my wrist became immense after a few feet of digging so the lasagna layers are over top of existing lawn with the first layer being wet newpaper - we'll see if this works or if I just have a really good rooted lawn by the end of this experiment.

Fern

• flowermum
    16 years ago

I just found this post this morning, and it was soooooo funny!

I want to try my hands at lasagna gardening. If I start now, I hope it'll be ready to plant for the spring time.

• keesha2006
    16 years ago

you should think about making a hardcover book (SNAPFISH OR SOMETHING) with the story as you wrote it...cute1

• teacher_mom2
    16 years ago

isn't this hilarious! great job, eagle.
    I have made my first lasagna bed - can't wait to plant! My soil is already getting softer. I have clay soil sprinkled with bermuda. ugh.