Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patreesh

Pictures of garden bed edging?

patreesh
13 years ago

I'm thinking of edging my garden beds with river rock and landscape fabric but haven't been able to find many pictures to inspire me. I'd love to see pictures of all styles of garden edging (as well as your gardens)!

Comments (6)

• HerbLady49
    13 years ago

Through the years I've used various types of edging. To tell you the truth I don't have a favorite. I like them all.

This garden starts with a low border of rocks and then gradually increases to about two feet.

This is the same garden on the other side at about 1 foot high.

These 10 inch by 12 foot boards worked out great for me when I needed to raise the beds a little. Thery're about 20 years old and are still strong.

Belgian Blocks used on the left and Railroad Ties used on the right. Railroad ties are about 20 years old and still good for another 20.

More Belgian Blocks in my Thyme Garden

I like using Belgian Blocks to edge my stone paths.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is where I store my Garden Pics

• patreesh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Herblady - your gardens are amazing. Just beautiful, beautiful - really. Great ideas for edging. I'll take my time looking at your pictures. What roses give you the best bloom and best repeat bloom? Just gorgeous!

Patreesh

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I love your garden! It looks so well cared for. You have had a lot of great ideas too. I have a few questions. What is the name of that gorgeous, full, pink rose in photo #4? I see you have birdhouses on what looks like old tree trunks without the bark. Is that what they are? And without any kind of a baffle do you find that any birds trying to nest in them, are vulnerable to predators? I love your thyme garden. I wonder whether it was difficult to establish and if you have clay soil, sandy soil? Any special varieties that you used? Thanks for the tour! :-)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Hey guys, if you check out the perrenials forum, the original poster posted pics of her absolutly stunning garden!
    Patreesh, i still disagree with the shoveled edge! The rocks wlll be so easy to mow over, and the rocks are totally charming ! I am sorry i lost your email and couldnt reply, but you really have an awesome garden whatever you decide to do!

• flora2b
    13 years ago

I could never get the knack of a shoveled edge either and made my own cement pavers using a mold.
    The results are easy to keep and mow.
    Mowers instructions are to keep the wheel on the cement edge...regardless!
    {{gwi:202984}}

More of the same

You can see the black edging here and also cemented a landing area to tie things together.
    {{gwi:202986}}

• HerbLady49
    13 years ago

Thank you for the complements.

Flora2b: Your pavers are a great idea. I've seen the molds but never thought about trying it myself. The arborvitae hedge border is absolutely stunning.

Patreesh: The longest blooming climber has got to be Blossomtime. Even with the drought it kept on going.

Prairiemoon2: The wood post with the birdhouses on top are 10ft tall 4x4's. I use them about every 4 feet along an 80ft bed, and add wire to them every 2 feet. This is where I grow some of my Climbing roses. The birdhouses are used to practically eliminate insects from my garden. There are about 30 throughout the gardens, and they are always occupied all year. The Pink climber is Lavender Lassie.

Here's a link about the birdhouses
    http://www.suite101.com/content/sparrows-in-the-flower-garden-a201257

Here's a link about the Thyme Garden.
    http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-grow-and-design-a-thyme-garden-a203098