Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Need your swing advice and ideas please!

After Lavenderlass got us all thinking about seating, i realized what i needed was a nice swing to daydream on in my back garden. My back garden is my retreat, it is fenced in and keeps my dogs out and makes me feel like the space is all for me.

I have the perfect area saved for a nice swing, id love it to be covered in some way for shade, and i really wanted to grow wisteria blue moon on it . I found an awesome wood working plan for the perfect arbor to surround the swing. Upon downloading it i realized i am no woodworker and could barely interpret the directions! My dh isnt either, and i dont know anyone who has the experience i need.

So i am thinking briefly of a cedar a frame swing, that i can purchase locally. But i need it spruced up somehow, i know it would easily get swallowed by wisteria. I dont know if i can somehow make it look nicer than just the regular frame? I hope this makes sense or someone has an idea. I

also am open to other ideas. I even wonder if a carpentry student would take on this project(the plan i downloaded) for a couple hundred dollars? It looked so easy but when it comes down to it i feel like its a different language! Anyway, i feel like someone might have an idea i havent thought of. Something to make the a frame seem cottagey and romantic. Any ideas? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is my dream arbor i downloaded

Comments (5)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Lilyfinch- That's a beautiful swing with arbor! I think this project would look amazing in your backyard, but if you decide to go with something a little simpler, it could still look very cottagey and romantic.

A cedar frame swing could definitely look romantic, although I don't know if it would support wisteria. Clematis might be a better choice (although I love roses) clematis is easier to sit under...no thorns and probably fewer bees.

If you want to do something really charming, what about those little fairy lights? I think they even have solar ones now, but a string of those, wrapped around the cedar frame would be very nice in the evening. You could also have a little walk way to the swing, which could be a grass or stone/brick path, edged with lavender or some other plant. I'd include a few roses, maybe on either side of the swing, with some other cottage flowers.

If you decide not to do the arbor, do you have room to plant some shrubs behind the swing? Lilacs are a great choice...I wish you lived closer, I'd give you a bunch for free :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Lilyfinch - that is a lovely arbour, but yes, very complicated. I am slightly handy, and would not attempt that. First of all, realize that once your vines grow, you won't see most of the detail!! Yes, wisteria is a house eater, it would have your arbour as an hors d'oeurves!! If you are set on wisteria, I would talk to someone who works with metal - even a creative plumber could build a very sturdy frame. Look in local parks at the kid's swings. Then you could hang any kind of seating you wanted from it. If roses or clematis work for you, then I would search out lumber yards, who may have a carpenter who works for them who could built you something very nice, maybe even this design. A carpentry student might choke on this one, but do you know any carpentry teachers? that might be a road to travel, too!
    Just some ideas - you need to do more research!!

Nancy.

• blueberryhills
    13 years ago

A friend of mine has a very simple set up for her backyard swing. The frame is simply two 6x6 posts with another anchored across the top that has the swing suspended from it. She has a Sweet Autumn Clematis started on it. Once the posts are covered with the vine, you won't be able to see them at all.
    I've been after Sweetie for some time now for a swing - he IS a carpenter, and could easily build your dream swing, if there were only some way to convince him it was his idea to build it, it would get done. LOL! Maybe I could ship him to PA.......

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys! I realize now what a undertaking this swing coulda been. Im ok with the small aframe one, after reviewing my priorities .
    I wonder if montana rubens clematis would cover it ? i might call a nursery and ask, i cant find any info in the clem forum. I think i convinced myself that the small aframe is better, leaves more space for flowers, wont cost much. If i ever move somewhere with alot of property ill refer to the big swing. I'll put it with my inground pool, pergola and laundry chute dream! :)

blueberryhill- thats a great idea with the sweet autumn! I love that vine, i have it on my chain link. I cant wait for it to bloom!
    midnightsmum, its a good point that the wisteria will cover up the detail. I want wisteria so bad!!! Ill get it somewhere, somehow.

And ll, the fairylights are the perfect idea. I will have to look for solar since its far away from an outlet. And i think i might do a clematis on one side and a rose on the other.

And if its not too crazy or kitchy, im going to paint the swing...pale pink! Or a pale sage green... something shabbychic!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

LF, that swing/arbor is beautiful. I agree though that it would be complicated and vines would cover the detail.

My MIL (Zone 7) has a clematis montana rubens and it is huge and gorgeous. I would say hers is as vigorous as her sweet autumn clematis. Maybe you could do one of each so you have the vines with different bloom times. They are both stunning vines in full bloom.

I love the idea of the fairy lights and think you are not crazy at all about painting the swing. Either color you have in mind would be lovely.

Sponsored