Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Monarch Butterflies - Fall Migration

Annie
12 years ago

I have been spotting them the past two weeks. Yesterday there were three feeding on the Blue Agastache flowers in my rose garden.

I believe they were all females. I did not see the tell-tale spots.

There were also about 15 or more large bumblebees on the same plant and a few tiny butterflies as well.

From here on out, I will be on the lookout to see if they are roosting on my property somewhere. They roost in trees or bushes at night to rest. I will also be watching for more sightings in the garden and making notes.

It's an exciting time of year for me!

~Annie

Comments (10)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

They are just so beautiful! I've hardly seen a butterfly here all summer. :( A few little white ones but nothing like we used to have. Need more BF friendly flowers! Thanks for posting Annie! And keep us updated on the migration. :)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

I mixed up the overripe bananas, brown sugar and dark ale beer and spread it on tree trunks, have seen a few that look like yours. Yes, it is exciting this time of year, with all the goings on; birds are back in force.

Hope you will keep us posted on your migration!

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful Annie.I've been seeing more of them around here as well,usually on the butterfly bush and the dahlias.

There was a smaller BF on one of my potted impatients on friday,don't know what kind it was,but it let me water the plant and didn't even fly off.Of course i steered clear of where he/she was feeding,

Talked to my sister in Washingtonville N.Y. yesterday and she told me when she went out in her yard saturday,the deer had made an overnight visit and ate all her plants,and some of the deer were still up on the hill eating from the apple tree.She was very upset,as i would have been as well.

Kathi

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

They are beautiful, and it is exciting!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

I've had a few coming through here over the last few days. I found it interesting this year with everything in bloom (agastache, zinnia, butterfly bush, asters, etc.) that the one plant I see them land on repeatedly is Verbena bonariensis. I didn't realize they would like it so much. I think it's definitely their first choice in my garden.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for visiting my post everyone.

"purpleinopps",
    Thanks for the Link! I'm a contributor to the data there. ;)
    We record and report Monarch (and Hummingbird) information there. For the Monarchs, it is "Sightings", "Roostings" and other data and give our location in decimal Latitude/Longitude.

There are volumes of information available there to peruse through. We are encouraging individuals and teachers in all levels of education to get involved in the project.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

One year in Iowa I saw a tree covered with roosting monarchs, an amazing and beautiful sight.

It's been cloudy and cool here for days, haven't seen any monarchs. They may all be gone from our area. Butterfly bushes, buddleia, and eupatorium Joe Pye weed are their favorites in my garden.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

They certainly like your agastache. I too find that the verbena bonariensis is a favorite; also, zinnias and, of course, the buddleia.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Only saw one Monarch yesterday. The days are getting shorter now, and the nights are getting chilly, so most have moved on South to Mexico. The reports are coming in of sightings near the Mexican border.

Sponsored