Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do chickens eat hosta?

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 3:07

Our cute chicks from last year are now full-grown free-ranging hens. We've got 5 hens, 2 guinea hens, and have added eleven more this summer. So, now that my hostas are looking really really shabby, I'm beginning to suspect that chickens eat hosta leaves. This is the first year I've had shabby leaves, so am I right in suspecting the chickens? They do have one nest in the hostas, but that's kinda good because then at least I know where some of the eggs are.

The chickens do some damage, but less than I thought. As far as bugs, practically none, so Yahoo! chickens! I sure wish I could get them high enough to eat aphids off the tall flowers, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do chickens eat hosta?

Mine don't, but they do scratch in them and shred them looking for insects. Those black Blister Beetles completely them to the ground, though. They totally destroyed mine this summer. But they are growing back now. :) That doesn't mean your chickens aren't eating them though.

Praying Mantis and Walking Sticks eat aphids though. I am always happy to see them in my gardens. :)
~Annie

o

Scratching sounds reasonable, because they look more shabby than chomped-on. Makes sense!

I would love to see some aphid lovers in my lawn. I've seen a small few ladybugs, and haven't noticed any Praying Mantis or Walking Sticks. Of course, walking sticks may be hard to notice! Pretty good Halloween costume those guys have.

Speaking of Praying Mantises, thought you might enjoy this picture of one from my mom's house in Costa Rica where she has lived for 20 years. I had not seen one like it. It has a flared back that looks like a leaf from above (see it in the first picture?). One of many interesting creatures we saw!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I was told by garden center that chickens eat STINKBUGS, that are horrible around here. I laughed, as I stated nobody in this area has chickens. The lady stated some do... so that's a plus!IF stinkbugs are a problem.

amy

o

Hi Deanna,
Well you know me and hostas! My chicks are freerange from about 10 Am to 3 PM.I have not seen them eat the hostas. They seem to like to eat mint and ferns leaves the most. I haven't seem them eat any of my flowers like the echinacea. Yes they do a great job at eating bugs. I have trained the chicks to stay out of my vegetable garden. And sometimes I wish I hadn't done that becasue that is the only place where I have grasshoppers! My chicks love tomatoes; and I guess I am afraid they would peck at my tomtotoes if they got in my garden. Then again, they would only get the ones close to the ground so maybe I should encourage the news ones to go in there.
Costa Rica sure has some pretty fancy walking sticks!

Blake

o

That is a very cool Mantis! Wow!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here