Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phill173

Eyeball Plant

phill173
15 years ago

I planted Spilanthes (eyeball plant) a week or so ago and I am really loving it. I put it in a big container with some bronzy leafed dahlias with yellow/gold flowers with some bronze to the edges, and some Panicum virgatum "Shenandoah" (bronzy tips), and for good measure, a couple of yellow pansies. It looks very nice.

I found the Spilanthes at a local gardening center in a gallon pot a couple of weeks ago. I am not at all familiar with it. Does anyone else have experience with it? How can it be propagated? Thanks in advance for any input!

Pat

Comments (7)

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Spilanthes is also referred to as the 'Toothache Plant'cause if you chew the leaves, it numbs your mouth.
    I don't know much about it either but I bet your container looked great.

• wvbetsy
    15 years ago

I planted it several years ago and now it comes back every year. It makes a nice border plant. Never thought about puting it in a pot.

• Annie
    15 years ago

I have it. It self-seeds wonderfully. It is not intrusively self-seeding, Just the right amount, in my experience. It seems to like hot sunny days and cooler evening temps, so really shines in mid-spring to early summer and then again in late summer-fall. Doesn't need pampering. Doesn't seem to have insects that chomp on it. I only water it a few times in the entire growing season.
    I planted it in the Potager last year with purple cabbage, purple, pale yellow, and pink petunias, purple & pink Sweet Allysum, vanilla marigolds, and purple Vinca, English Daisies, Lavender, Primadonna (greenish-white) Echinacea, Golden yarrow and lovely Lamb's Ears, plus my veggies, of course, some of which also contributed purple overtones to the garden plot. Grows well with any kind of everlasting flowers, too.
    I highly recommend it to anyone with dry, sandy soil and anyone who doesn't want flowers that have to be pampered.
    I love the purple & gold foliage and those googly looking eyeball flowers. Reminds me of pimento-stuffed Spanish olives. The flowers are about that same size as a medium-size olive, too.

Here it is in my Potager in 2007, growing amongst Munstead Lavender, Lamb's ears, Petunias and Coronation Gold Yarrow:
    {{gwi:747071}}

I bet it would be "eye-popping" beautiful growing in a pot or garden urn with fall flowers. Post photos!

~Annie

• phill173
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a GREAT picture of one...I need to figure out how to post a picture of mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spilanthes

• phill173
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie, I also posted a response to your response above, but I don't see it anywhere, so you might think me a bit rude. I appreciate your very pretty placement of spilanthes, and just seeing what you paired it with tells me a lot about caring for it. Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I definitely want this little plant next year!

Pat

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

I've grown it, but it never came back. I put it in my "kids garden" for the novelty value. They thought it was neat!
    Annie, that's a great photo, such a pleasing combination of flowers.

• Annie
    15 years ago

The self-seeded seedlings of my Spilanthes were VERY late in coming up in the garden this year. I had nearly given up hope that any would grow when I spotted them. They did not germinate until well into June. Maybe they need the really hot temps to germinate (????). I dunno, but not one came up until mid-summer.
    I did not cultivate where they had grown last year, other than to weed in early spring. Ya think that may be why yours didn't come back GG?
    I have seeds if you want to try them again next year. Let me know.
    Annie