Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Do you grow Lantana?

Oakley
14 years ago

My new favorite "cottage" flower is Lantana. My DIL grows it and it is just gorgeous! Especially the pink and yellow flowers together.

I would love to see pictures (at a distance) of your Lantana if you have any. I love how bushy they get with a lot of flowers. Pretty!

Comments (27)

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

A little secret about lantana. Once it freezes back, do not cut or prune it back until you see new leaves/growth in the spring.
    The center of it's stems is pith and will absorb water and rot the plant.
    Y'all get more cold in OK than we do in San Antonio. Even when we have a hard freeze, it always comes back late spring.

I don't have a picture. At another house, I had a pink and yellow that was 6 ft. tall and 10ft around. It grew through the chain fence and bent the fence.

My favorite is white with a yellow eye.

{{gwi:747275}}

Here is a link that might be useful: lantana

• treelover
    14 years ago

I've learned to love lantana the past couple of summers. It's one of the few plants I have that really do well during periods of drought. (You can click on the thumbnails to see larger photos.)

This large bed under an oak tree is filled with the trailing purple type (w/mondo grass & Katie ruellia around the edges). It's almost entirely in shade and blooms only in the spring & fall, maybe because that's when the sun's low enough to reach it:

It just started to bloom a couple of weeks ago:

Some of the gold in bloom (w/plumbago behind it):

I've got some of the white type like plantmaven's and a cream color one (with flowers that smell wonderful) in my parking strip:

And, several of these that haven't bloomed all year, though this one's been covered with buds for weeks. I think they might be a yellow type. I can't imagine why they don't bloom. They look healthy enough, but haven't grown as large as any of the others:

I find the yellow & pink type popping up all over the place . . . courtesy of the birds, I'm sure.

• DYH
    14 years ago

I have a love-hate relationship with lantana! Behind this caryopteris is lantana 'Athens Rose' after it was moved from another location. In that previous location, there continue to be new sprouts. Even my husband was unable to dig out all of the root pieces.

Love - the long bloom season and how it attracts butterflies. If a summer is too cool, it won't bloom as much. It likes HOT.

Hate - the ugly plant after it loses the leaves (can't cut it back until spring) and the fact that it doesn't green up until mid-May here in my garden. For that reason, don't put it anywhere too noticeable to overwinter. I have another type 'Chapel Hill' yellow that I planted a year ago. Thought it was dead, but it has sprung up all over that bed in the cottage garden. Can't tell yet if the roots ran four feet in all directions or if it seeded out. Enough is enough.

Cameron

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

The upright pink and yellow grows wild at woods' edge elsewhere on our property, not in my garden, as it seeds about prolifically. We're having some server issues and I'm having to use DH's computer for 24 hours, so I can't show you those photos, but it's just huge areas covered in lantana that grows upright to four feet tall. There are butterflies on it but no more than in my garden on other nectar plants.

My preference is the trailing Lantana montevidensis as Kathy and the others show. I've just this summer started the white.

The yellow lantana prefers hot, hot weather and little rain. The lavender prefers slightly cooler weather, so there are always abundant blooms of one of the other until frost nips them. The lavender continues to bloom in sheltered areas without dying back as it does in the open (note this is zone 8b).

Lantana is the biggest butterfly magnet here after Porterweed and Tithonia. It attracts a wider range of butterflies than Pentas. The smaller Skippers, Sulphurs and butterflies like Buckeyes and Gulf Frits love it.

If you don't mind a lot of scrolling, you can see all my blog posts with lantana in them here: Lantana Featured

and my photobucket labeled lantana pics in the link below.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Lantana tags

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

I grow two varieties of Lantana, 'Irene', which is a dark magenta, and this one, which is 'Texas Flame'. I prune them both occasionally, to keep them the size I want.
    Jim

• natal
    14 years ago

I have a lot of trailing yellow (New Gold) and purple. The purple is just starting to bloom again after taking a break all summer. One of the upright varieties has been swamped by pineapple sage in my porch bed. It's coming out this fall. The courtyard bed of New Gold gets cut back late fall so I have room to plant pansies.

Around town New Gold lantana is planted in a number of intersection islands. It blooms all summer and thrives on neglect.

This was taken early May. The wizard and butterfly are now buried in there somewhere.

• backyardgrown
    14 years ago

Yes. I am waiting for the sun to come out to take some good pics of the lantana shrub, and hope to come back and post them soon. It's in my front flower bed and comes up after the glads have bloomed out for the year. It's the light pink/yellow variety that gets really tall and bushy, but I don't know the name of it.

My mother gave me three "dead" plants, which I watered and put in the ground and now they get 4-5' tall. I think I'm going to move one of them this year so I can put something else there.

Though they don't smell great, the flowers are great bouquet filler for zinnias. They look especially nice with the purple and orange zinnias. The hummingbirds absolutely love them, and I had a garden spider build a web between the lantana and glad stalks this summer. She has now produced 2 egg sacs from what I can tell.

As for cutting them back, I've not had any problem with them being cut back in winter. I don't want seeds popping up everywhere, so I give them a good shear as soon as the foliage dies back. So far, so good.

• natal
    14 years ago

After Nell mentioned a problem with reseeding I checked Dave's Garden to see what others had to say. I've grown both upright and trailing varieties for years and never had that problem. The trailing lantanas do sprawl and can easily take over an area, but it's not because they reseed.

It's like Sweet Autumn clematis ... it reseeds for some, but not others. Wonder why that is?

• token28001
    14 years ago

I don't grow lantana. But I do have several plants. It's really not done much for me this year. My best performer has been Miss Huff, wintersown in January and planted out as an afterthought.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I have the orange and yellow ,and also the white.The O&Y bloom here most of the year,and as someone else said it thrives on neglect.Mine is over 25 years old at least.The white is only about 8 or 10 yrs old and not as great a performer as the O&Y.
    Kathi

• lisa33
    14 years ago

Yes! I found it on clearance at HD for $2.67 in a 2 or 3 gallon pot. I bought 3. This is Lantana "Chapel Hill" which is supposed to be hardy to zone 7. I am on the border of 6b/7a but hoping it will winter over if we have a mild one. Lantana is one of my favorites, too. It's just going gangbusters along with my Endless Summer hydrangeas. I also read about the hollow stems. I think my plan is to heap mulch over it (a much more experienced gardening friend suggested it). If anyone has other recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lisa, what a beautiful mixture of the Lantana with the hydrangeas!

I have a question. I have one ES Hydrangea and I plan to plant a lot more next spring. But the H's need light sun/filtered shade, and the Lantana needs full sun. Right? So what kind of sunlight do your plants get?

Plantmaven, I think I'm going to grow some of the yellow and white also. Beautiful!

One more question. Do they come in various heights? I don't want trailing, so I'll keep an eye out so I won't get that one.

Thanks for all the pictures, keep them coming! :)

• natal
    14 years ago

Jim, are those cat whisker's in the background? I saw some today at the nursery and almost bought them.

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Yes, that is Cat Whiskers, my favorite filler plant.
    Jim

• natal
    14 years ago

I'm going back! When I came home and read they're loved by butterflies and hummers I knew I should have grabbed 'em. Do yours bloom all summer?

• treelover
    14 years ago

I had a purple cat whiskers a few years ago . . . a very nice plant. It didn't grow back the next year and I haven't seen any around here since then.

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Yes, they do bloom all summer. The white is a little hardier than the purple, but both have survived 28 deg. here.
    Jim

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

Lantana growing wild at woods' edge.

Nell

• hobe
    13 years ago

HAS ANYONE PLANTED THE MARY ANN LANTANA YET? IF SO HOW DID IT WORK OUT?

• pbjcc_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have grown Lantas in my yard for the last 2 years and wonder how long it will take for them to catch up in size to neighbors almost 5' tall bush. Here in Southern NM there is plenty of heat and sunshine which produce a very heavy bloom for most of the summer. I've decicded to plant a few more this year. Very easy and they love the Sun/dryness of Las Cruces NM.

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Lantanas are an annual up here in WI, but ever sine I saw them growing as hedges in Taiwan, I have been in love. I now grow them in big pots and wheel them in every year - prune them drastically in January and they are setting buds when they get rolled back out in May.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lily51
    13 years ago

Lantanas are annuals in Ohio, also.
    They are just beautiful.
    I've started some hanging baskets with it and will put some in containers. Glad to hear you can keep them mandolls, i'll try that at the end of the season.

• DYH
    13 years ago

I grow several varieties that are perennial in zone 7b. The lantana 'Miss Huff' has a lot of gold and orange in it and I love it with salvia 'Black & Blue'.

I also have a pink/yellow shrub-size that is either 'Ham and Eggs' or 'Athens Rose'. It is GREAT with agastache, coneflowers, Russian sage, salvia and muhly grass.

I've had 'Chapel Hill Yellow' but it came back as orange. I want to try again as it is difficult for me to find yellow flowers (other than coreopsis) that the deer won't eat.

Instead of the purple lantana, I use perennial heliotrope -- a tough, reliable perennial in zones 7 and hotter that is a lavender, ground-covering bloom from April until frost.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: lantana Miss Huff and Salvia Black and Blue

• Annie
    13 years ago

My Lantana all died out a few years ago. We had a very wet spring and a very cool, wet summer several years ago and the plants died. They like dry feet! They started out about 6 inches tall in a four inch pot and grew and spread until they were 3 feet across and 4 feet tall. They were beautiful! I had Dallas Red and another variety with pastel yellows, pinks, oranges & touches of cream and white (I think it was called 'Confetti'). I plan on buying new plants this year.

I love the all yellow trailing type.

I was watching "Much Ado About Nothing" last night and saw a beautiful bed I wish I could create. It was a long, narrow, rectangular bed filled with what looked like yellow and pink Lantana with a dwarf boxwood hedge around it. It was so lovely.

I am thinking I could sort of recreate one like the one in the movie, but make it circular instead of rectangular. I could plant the Lantana in a circular bed around my little round lily pond (sunk into the ground and lined with red sandstone rocks) and plant dwarf boxwood around the Lantana on the outside and around the pond on the inside (like a donut). It would take a few years to achieve the look I want, but I don't mind the wait. Then I need to finally set up my rustic seat near it for a calm place to sit and relax.

• bouquet
    13 years ago

Its been a long time, but I had some 'Radiation' lantana that was very nice because it grew tall and in between other plants. It was bright orange and yellow and looked spectacular in the fall with all the burgundy, gold and red. I have a 'Chapel Hill' that I'm hoping made it through our tough Feb weather but we'll see. I'm partial to any lantana that is buttery yellow, rather than school bus yellow.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Some people may wrinkle their noses at this, but I happen to love the way it smells. :)

• jdub123
    9 years ago

I am in upstate South Carolina. I am going to put some Lantana in my garden beds and need some advice. How much room should I allow? Will they spread out much? One garden bed is against the brick side of the house and gets morning to mid-afternoon sun. It stays pretty warm in winter. The other bed is not against the house and gets sun almost all day.
    Anyone have any ideas?

John

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES