Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunny, dry border along house: help please?

Posted by marita40 minnesota (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 7:04

I've got to replant the narrow, south-facing border behind my 100+ year old urban house. It is very dry and was exceptionally dry this year due to our unusually hot summer in MN. The wine and roses weiglea in the center actually does quite well and it is the only thing I want to keep (it looks bad in the photo but this was taken when things were pretty much spent). As you see, the two salvia on either side of the space flop terribly and are downright ugly for most of the summer--so they've got to go. Other things there right now that haven't done well are bee balm and a day lily--I want to clear them all out.

So what would you do with this area, keeping the weiglea? I'd love something pretty, neat, but hearty and little-care. Some things I'm considering are dwarf conifers/spruce on either side to give some height and winter interest, or white peonies, or dwarf gold spirea, or little lime hydrangeas, or some type of non-flop purple salvia (are there non flop types), or non-flop sedums. I don't know if any of these would do well in this space nor do I know whether or not something larger on either end (like the conifer) would help "balance" the area. Really, I'm stymied in my decisions and any design help will be very much appreciated! I'm zone 4b, by the way--Twin Cities.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunny, dry border along house: help please?

Well I'm experienced only in quite different zones than you are in (7b to 9b), but my suggestions would be:
make that area an herb garden and/or succulents (you had mentioned sedum). I think euphorbia might also work. What about Kalanchoe?
Anything you put there should be "heat and drought tolerant" and like "full sun" (of course) because the stone and the sidewalk will reflect alot of heat. I think I would also consider making 2 beds in each of the corners there underneath the T of that sidewalk (the grassy areas that show in the picture), using the same plants or some of the same that you use in that border. I think that would make it look like all one garden and bigger is better!
Laurie in Mississippi

o

I think tall dwarf conifers would look good. It's such a small bed I would stick with two or three types of plants.

o

Sedums will do very well with no care...ask me how I know. I have linked the Santa Rosa garden center below. They have a huge selection, most of the new kinds do not flop. They have lovely leaves when not in flower, come in many heights and are beautiful when they do flower. They are extremely easy to propagate also..just stick a stem in dirt. Santa Rosa is an excellent company and is very highly rated in Dave's Garden. I have purchased many things over the years...you will love the prices and the packaging. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Rosa sedums

o

I agree, Santa Rosa Gardens ships great products!

Sedum would look great in that area, but I also like the idea of herbs.

o

Many thanks for your reponses and the link to Santa Rosa Gardens. I am leaning strongly toward sedums, and the no-flop variety! I appreciate your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here