Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

The Most Fragrant Plant!

gldno1
15 years ago

We saw the Cork Screw flower growing at the gardens we visited this week and could smell it long before we got to it!

It is a tropical so they must have started it from seed. I am amazed that the growth in one season.

Do any of you grow this plant? The botanical name is vigna caracalla.

Comments (10)

• pansyface2006
    15 years ago

Yes, it is a beautiful bloom and the smell.....wonderful. I am in zone 8 and it is a perenial for me. I grew mine from seed.
    Barb

• organic_flutterby
    15 years ago

I LOVE this plant! I will have to include it in my garden plan. Thank you for posting.

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

I had one years ago. They also call it the snail plant because the blooms resemble a snail. I don't recall a fragrance but I loved the funny little flowers. Mine died :-(

• DYH
    15 years ago

Never seen one before. Vertical gardening = good! Fragrance = great! :-)

Cameron

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

I've heard of it but never seen one, don't know if they grow them up here, is it a perennial vine in the south or an annual. I'd love to try one if I can find some seed. Maybe it could be wintered in a greenhouse? Tell me more about about it's likes and dislikes.
    Annette

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annette, I don't know anything at all about it, other than it was beautiful and smelled great. We are Zone 6, so it had to be bought as a plant or started early.

If I can find out any more about how they did it here, I will post. It would sure be worth growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corkscrew Flower

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link, I doubt I could find this seed for sale in Canada. As soon as you said fragrant my nose grew an inch :o).

Annette

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

They are fairly easy to grow. Mine died from lack of water..I had it planted in a bad spot.

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

I am the family gardener, but my DH sees plants he wants sometimes. He bought some snail vine plants from Bluebird Nursery in Clarkson NE a number of years ago and has insisted on buying more than one plant every year. Our blooms are a little different color than those in your pic, a bluish purple.

It's not overly fond of our cool nights, and most years does not bloom as well as the ones in your pic, or get as bushy. This year, we have one or two sharing space in the ground with a morning glory in the front, and a couple in a pot growing through the trellis and onto our neighbor's fence in the back. She helped us poke it back through when it was growing fast in the warmth of the summer.

This pic was taken early August. It has more blooms now, but won't for long, as the nights are getting too cool for it. I'm thinking it prefers not to be below 55 degrees.

The blooms do smell good, but what I'm smelling more of right now are the moonflowers on the vine.

Sue

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just called the Master Gardener group who plants and maintains this garden to find out all about the vine....was directed to go back to the site where I should find two gardeners working daily who can tell me anything I want to know. I think we will go back soon and I will be searching for anyone digging in the dirt or pulling weeds.

I have several questions for them about cultivation and various plants in the gardens. If I find out anything helpful about how to grow this in Zone 6 and north, will post here again.

Sponsored