Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

What cottage flower is this? It's growing wild.

Oakley
10 years ago

We live on 2 acres and I haven't walked in this area for months until this morning. My husband has been mowing around these flowers and didn't tell me they were there! Maybe he thought I planted them. lol.

It looks like a common flower, and about 10 years ago I did sprinkle wildflowers about a half an acre away. So I guess this could be one of the flowers.

Similar to Lavender. I do grow blue Salvia but that's not it.

{{gwi:748379}}

Comments (9)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Can you take a closer shot? It would help to see the individual leaves and flowers. It almost looks like knotweed, but it is hard to tell from your picture.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here you go. I looked up knotweed and that's not it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Not completely sure but around here we have something similar that grows wild and we call it "Lady's Fingers". The bloom and foliage is much like in your photo, however the color is dark rose pink with white tips. I love them and even tho some consider it a weed I am very careful to weed or mow around it if I see it.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked up Lady Fingers and that's okra, which we have. It has little white flowers, not purple. I'll keep looking!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I went out and snipped a piece of what I call Lady's Fingers, growing in a corner near the garage and a stone wall and scanned it. The plant is usually a bit taller and the bloom more elongated but I think it was mowed once.

Also, I posted this on the Native Wildflower forum here on GW to see if I am identifying Lady's Fingers incorrectly. Where is Sweet Annie when you need her?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

? Maybe...Smartweed (Polygonum pensylvanicum) is a summer annual thatâÂÂs seen almost everywhere in the U.S., preferring wet areas but having no problem in the driest parts of my garden. I love its 8 to 10-inch spikes covered with dark pink flowers from June through August.

Pretty whatever it is.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Someone on the Native Wildflower forum offered this suggestion. I think this is your plant. I call it "Lady's Fingers" when it should be "Lady's Thumb".

cyn427 - I posted before visiting the link you posted. Why Smartweed sure looks like the same plant as the Lady's Thumb doesn't it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Perscicaria vulgaris

This post was edited by schoolhouse on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 21:15

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Just an FYI, I think all of our guesses (both the persicaria and the polygonum) are in the knotweed family.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bingo, it's Lady's Thumb! What's interesting is it came up in an area that holds water like a little pond after it rains. Which fits the description of their habitat. We've had a lot of rain this year so that's why it thrived.

Thank you all so much!

Sponsored