Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Update on teacup topiary

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

Just thought I'd post a photo from today of the teacup topiary's progress. I now have a handle - finally! By next summer I will be able to start shaping it a little more. I was going to add these pics to an earlier thread I started here so you could see the progress, but the photos from 2010 are gone. I must have deleted them from my PB album? So I tried to post a link to an older thread in the topiary forum. It still has some early photos.

{{gwi:749242}}

{{gwi:749244}}

Here is a link that might be useful: earlier topiary pics

Comments (22)

• loganlady
    12 years ago

What beautiful photos!!! Love it.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

That is just too cute! You realize that you are going to need a Mad Hatter too........lol :)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Good progress, thanks for the update.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

The handle really looks great.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Oh, my goodness, schoolhouse!! That is absolutely fun!!! Did this take a long time to grow in order to shape?

• Annie
    12 years ago

I have been watching you work on those for what 2 or 3 years now? You have so much patience! And you are very artistically talented in so many ways.

Absolutely fantastic!
    What could be better in the garden of a lady who enjoys lovely, elegant afternoon Teas like you do.

~Annie

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Okay, lol! I clicked the link and that totally answered my question. I t was neat to see how you trained it to get.the form!

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

Magical! Do you do any structure or wrap to protect it through the winter? Do you know a little girl that could dress as Alice and sit down between your teapot and cup for pictures. How fun and of course great gardening.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks folks! No, I don't protect over the winter. Seems to do fine. wren, I may have told this one before but when my niece's daughter was very small and came to visit she looked at the teapot and said, "Look Mom, it's Mrs. Potts!" From a Disney movie Beauty and the Beast I think. so cute.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

Your topiary looks great, love it!

I tried topiary once and the results were quite sad. :)

• Annie
    12 years ago

Thanks for reminded me about your grand-niece saying that about Mrs. Potts. So CUTE!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Wow. That has really been coming along. So adorable and the sizes are perfect!

Do you do any other types of bonsai or anything like that? Or just the topiaries? I'm more of a hacker in the garden whacking things back. You must need a bit of a gentle touch with your clipping of the tea set. How often do you have to clip it to keep it looking right with the new growth coming in? Is it just a couple times through the growing season? I ask these questions as if I will ever do a topiary, but alas I think I will more than likely live vicariously through you!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I'm in love with the stones and the background flower beds. What a beautiful setting for your topiary.
    Renee

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I trim the topiary whenever I see that it is necessary,which means beginning in April (with a severe shaping) and throughout the summer until about now. That is, trimming with the scissors. If I see stray new growth here and there I pick it off with my fingers (you can see the light green new leaves in the photos). Never tried bonsai.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse- They're wonderful! I like the idea of adding a Mad Hatter. (LOL)

She's right...they do look like Mrs. Potts and Chip (the teacup/her son) from Beauty and the Beast :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Lovely, I don't think I have either the talent or patience to try one.
    Calamity Jane and I went galavanting one afternoon, we drove by a bed and breakfast with a garden full of topiaries some finished, some under construction and some frames not started yet, fascinating I wish I had took pictures.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't use frames. I just buy a boxwood shrub and start from there. However, I do use wire (coat hanger)to help form the handles.

I once saw in a magazine or at a web site topiaries fashioned into pieces of furniture - couch and chairs. I'd love to try that!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

How marvelous! I agree with Annette that I probably don't have the talent or patience to accomplish anything similar. Also think a Mad Hatter would be fun, but you would probably need something slightly faster-growing.

If you ever get a chance, you should visit Longwood Gardens to see their topiary, although yours is more fun, I think! They have some fun animals and shapes. The link only shows one little picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: topiary at Longwood

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cyn, a friend just returned not too long ago from a trip to Longwood Gardens! She sent me an email saying that when she saw the topiary she thought of me. I must go someday. Thanks for the link.

And I bet you and Annette could create topiaries - it's like sketching or painting except in 3D. Start with a small boxwood shrub and trim it all around until it looks like a round ball. It may take a couple season for even that, but soon you can let pieces grow longer than the rest and create whatever shape you desire. I was surprised to see 2009 as the date I started the teacup, I thought it had been longer than that.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement and vote of confidence. I may just try that. Now, what to create? This will give me something to plan over the winter! Thanks!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I love your teacup! What a neat idea.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, bev. cyn, an easy one to start with is a bird or chicken. You only need to let branches grow long on both sides, one for neck and head, and the other for the tail. Later when it fills out, you can take the scissors, snip here and there until you can shape them to look more like what the body parts are suppose to look like.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz