Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (11)

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

I love the "writing" spiders. Our's is gone. I wish another one would come around.

• ianna
    10 years ago

Oh I cannot stand those things. I got bitten by an unknown spider before and suffered a severe reaction.. Spray them.

• wildflower3
    10 years ago

Isn't that a 'garden' spider???? If it is..its harmless.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

While I don't particularly like them, I tolerate the spiders in my garden. In fact, last year was the first year I had none, I don't know what happened. So I'm kind of glad to see them back. Just don't want to find them on me or in my hair while I'm weeding. I try to pull things around them or under them without disturbing, sometimes they do that "stay away bounce" that can be a little eery. I think there are at least five out there.

I should Google, but I wonder if the very tiny ones are the males who come along first, because those are the spiders I see earlier. Than the bigger ones are the females?

I just thought it was cute the way the statue in the photo has his hands up as if saying, "Eeeeeeek!". The spider being right behind him.

This post was edited by schoolhouse on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 18:29

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

They are Argiope aurantia

Here is a link that might be useful: spider

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks plantmaven, nice article. Answered some questions. But it only said they are not harmful to gardeners, it didn't say whether they bite? When I was little my Mom found one on her and nearly went bezerk. Maybe that's partly where my fear comes from.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ha, ha, it looks like the spider is jumping off his head!

I mostly ignore spiders as those we have are not dangerous and don't damage anything. Glad to have anything out there that is reducing the pest insect population. Inside we have a catch and release to the outside policy.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Non-poisonous spiders outside...okay. Any spiders inside...not.

• flowerladylorraine
    10 years ago

I have these spiders here in my gardens. I don't like walking into webs at all, but spiders can live in my gardens to eat mosquitoes.

Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

• rosewitch
    10 years ago

There has been either one or two in my garden for the past 3 years. One year I found two.

Here is the one from my garden last year. I haven't found one this year, but since I got sick in April and still am not allowed to work in the garden doesn't mean one isn't there.

Since they stay in the web and don't come inside I leave them alone. But if one ever comes inside; I will put a sale sign up and move out!!

Kat

• ianna
    10 years ago

they do bite but their venom isn't toxic to us humans - at least that is what is said on wikepedia..

I just don't like spiders because of my experience. My whole arm swelled up in welts after being bitten by a spider.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor