Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hobbiton gardens revealed

Posted by rosefolly Z9/S16 NCal (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 12:19

Three years ago my husband and I toured the Hobbiton movie set in Matamata, New Zealand. When I got home I posted a description here on the Cottage Garden forum. Despite pleas for pictures, I could not post any. I had signed an agreement that I would not post pictures. Now that the first movie is out and everyone has seen the set I can do so. In fact, even the Hobbiton tour site has pictures up now.

While I took many photos of the fascinating hobbit holes and intriguing architectural features, it is the garden plants themselves that I will be posting here. The whole effect is casual, not that of groomed, tidy gardens, a mix of English country flowers and herbs with those well suited to warm climates, which that part of New Zealand is. I just loved it.

Anyway, here goes!

Hobbiton photo DSCF5177_zpse5bc3aed.jpg

Hobbiton photo DSCF5167_zps5ac1b0e9.jpg

Hobbiton photo DSCF5178_zps0f535d19.jpg

Hobbiton photo DSCF5207_zps75397213.jpg

Hobbiton photo DSCF5227_zpsa16a174a.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Hobbiton in Matamata, New Zealand

This post was edited by rosefolly on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 14:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hobbiton gardens revealed

Thanks for sharing!

o

Stunning,..this is how i would like my cottage garden flowers to look,..beautiful Hobbit Holes,..lucky you to see the area,..i envy you as i love the Hobbiton,..thank you for posting.

Philip

o

They have since opened the Green Dragon as an inn so I would love to go back. Maybe next time the heritage rose conference is in NZ I will be able to; I've never made it there yet. Time to start saving up.

o

Looks like a fun place to tour! TFS

o

Thanks for posting. We are huge Tolkien fans and thoroughly enjoyed the movies. When we were in NZ, there were so many tourists at Matamata that we skipped it. Of course, this was back in 2003, so they hadn't allowed the farmer to keep the set painted and looking like it did in the movies. Fun to see it. Love NZ and looking forward to returning some day before we get too old to hike around!

o

Enjoyed the pics, thanks for sharing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here