Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Do you like ornamental millet?

thinman
13 years ago

Mine's in a cutting garden, not a cottage garden, but I thought you might like it anyway. There are two kinds of millet (setaria italica) here: Highlander (or Tapestry) and Lime Light. The Highlander has already turned its fall color.

And, looking in the opposite direction, you can see Annie keeping a close eye on me, because, you never know, an actual bird might just fly out of the row of millet and a girl has to be prepared.

ThinMan

Comments (12)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Oh she is such a beauty!! What a stance! Looks like you have her the invisible fence?

Oh yeah, the grasses look good, too!! lol. I don't think I've seen those before, with the drooping habit. I was thinking you'd be showing Purple Majesty, or like that!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Annie is one gorgeous gal lucky you. Your ornamental millet is quite striking, how tall does it grow? It looks like it might be a nice addition to add a bit of height where needed in my garden.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Love the look of that one with the dark leaf. What kinds of things do you like pairing it with in a bouquet?
    Funny this should come up, as I just put ornamental millet on my seed 'want' list for next year. I decided to get some from seeing a lovely black-plumed, gold leafed annual sort on Nancy J. Ondra's blog called 'Jade Princess'.

I also have a prennial gold leaf Milleum effusum 'Aureum'. The plumes are not too ornamental, but the bright golden spring foliage really livens up the garden. Really like it amongst the early tulips. It reseeds a lot, but is very easy to pull.
    For the past couple years I have been growing some common millet (Panicum milaceum) for the birds. In fact, it first popped up here from a birdseed mix. So fun to watch them bobbing up and down on the stems.
    Hope you don't mind my posting a pic...

CMK

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Nancy, the fence is between us and she is just about as close to me as she can get. I know I've shown the Purple Majesty a time or two, and I liked the look of these two together. Nothing outstanding, but nice.

Annette, the millets grow to about five feet and are really easy to grow from seed. The one that is dark-colored now started out green just like the other one, and they weren't very picturesque until the burgundy color developed.

CMK, I'll be looking up Jade Princess. It sounds cool. I throw a few of these into almost any of my mixed bouquets. I use a lot of zinnias, sunflowers, rudbeckia, dianthus, amaranth, daisies, statice, snapdragons, and other stuff. Great picture. I am imagining that you threw down your shovel and said "Time for a cold beverage!" Of course I don't mind that you posted a picture. I really like your gardening style.

TM

• roper2008
    13 years ago

If the birds like it, I like it. Do the birds eat your millet?

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roper, yes they do, once the seeds ripen. The birds are going after the dark older heads right now.

TM

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I love that chartreuse color. Lovely dog.
    Renee

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Thanks thinman! ;-) Oooo...I bet the dark millet would look nice with some of those green zinnias!
    Lol, you are right! That pic was taken a couple of weeks ago when I had been moving a whole bunch of things around before the rainy weather came. Then I kicked off my flip flops (also shown in pic, lol), threw down the shovel, and was off to get some lemon verbena iced tea!
    CMK

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I guessed that it was millet growing under the bird feeders! But at first I thought a chipmunk had buried some corn. I've been letting it grow.

Love that pic with the birds.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Thinman, is this millet? It's growing near my bird feeders.

{{gwi:750639}}

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It sure looks to me like it could be proso millet, the kind they grow for birdseed.

TM

Here is a link that might be useful: You could check this out.

• muesli
    13 years ago

Looks to me more like sorghum.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus