Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Arches in the garden

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I know most of you have seen my 1920s/kitchen garden, so I'm not going to post the picture again. I have the one arch in this garden and the arbor with benches. The arbor will have clematis (less bees/yellow jackets than roses) and I want to put in two more arches for the 'little potager' on the other end of the garden. These three arches will be for veggies like cherry tomatoes and purple climbing beans...maybe some gourds, if they're not too heavy.

I found this picture (second one down on the link) and it's what I'd like my garden to look like, in a much more scaled down, veggies instead of roses, kind of way. LOL

For the borders, instead of boxwood, I'm going to use marigolds. They'll be four 3'x5' beds, with the two arches forming a tunnel and the other arch (the one already there) being off to the side and perpendicular, much like the ones on the side in the photo. On either side of the front arch, there will be annual beds for vegetables and flowers. The rest of the garden is going to be perennials.

What do you think? Does anyone else get ideas from pictures and scale it way back to fit their gardens...and maybe change out more formal planting for cottage garden plants? Just curious...and thanks for any suggestions :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Arches in the garden

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors