Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

Attitude adjustment...

ogrose_tx
12 years ago

Here in Texas come August, I always get this very grouchy outlook on gardening in general, it's kind of like why do I bother, everything looks so bad and water just to keep it alive and I don't even want to go outside. Yesterday was our 71st day of 100 Degrees, but woke up this morning to COOL weather, sunny skies, nice breeze, high supposed to be in the 80's, lows in the 50's - I think we're FINALLY through it!

Of course the first thing I did was head for the garden, all enthusiastic, ready to work again!

Hope everyone else is having glorious weather, too!

ogrose

Comments (16)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Same here, but it is back up in the 90's.

The term "a breath of fresh air" comes to mind.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

The term "a breath of fresh air" comes to mind.

We got one...and only one...today. Tomorrow is back to the way it was yesterday...just colder is all.

The past three weeks it has been cloudy, dark & gloomy, horrible, oppressive humidity...rapacious mosquitoes...air so still not a blade of grass moved nor a leaf stirred. Temps in the low 80's which just made it feel even more miserable. I'll abstain from complaining about the non-stop rain out of sympathy for your drought conditions and let you form your own mental picture of the (deliriously happy) slugs in the shade gardens.

My little green acre is gradually going dormant for the winter--its least attractive phase no matter how enthusiastic a gardener might be. It doesn't bother me because it's part of the natural progression but would have to admit it's an eyesore that just gets worse as the days and weeks head toward winter.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I don't know how you Texans do it. I'll suffer a long cold winter over that brutal heat any day.

TM

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I'm with you TM! It is sooo beautiful here now! :)

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope, been there, done that between growing up in Montana and living in Saginaw. We're just fixing to get our good weather, it can be in the 70's in January mixed in with the ice storms. That said, every summer I wonder why in the world I live here; guess I couldn't do without my chicken fried steak and ice tea (and the interesting unique people!):)

• natal
    12 years ago

Ogrose, sounds like we're getting the same much-welcome break from the heat and humidity. 54 degrees at 8:20 am and only going up to the low 80s today and for the next few days. I'm lovin' it! Heading out to an annual plant sale soon as I shower and dress. Plan on working in the yard all day tomorrow.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

It was a blissful 60 when I got up this morning. ^:)

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And you KNOW were going to get rain; our Texas State Fair opened yesterday, and it always (almost!) rains during the fair!

• finchelover
    12 years ago

We've been having some cooler mornings and highs about 70's. Went thru the heat,glad that's over[I hope> We had our first lite frost this morning. I love this type of weather. I always feel energectic and go out as much as I can

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

We had only one day in September with more sun than clouds. I suspect we are quite well caught up on our rain levels at this point. Starting October the same way, but colder-in the low fifties. I am hoping for sun sometime in the foreseeable future! :)

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I feel for you in the east, cold weather and winter setting in already and too much rain is no fun.

There is NO way we will catch up on rain, and they're "saying" we are in for more drought for many years to come, hope they're wrong, as they are so many times!

This is really the best time of year to plant, divide, etc. before it freezes, and I think really one of our prettier times of year. We don't get the gorgeous color you all get, leaves and such just turn kind of a yucky yellowish before winter really gets here. What we do get is mornings in the 50's, warming up to the 80's, the slant of the gentle autumn sun, just bliss for us after our horrendous summer!

• valree3
    12 years ago

We have had beautiful weather here in Northern Nevada. Can't remember the last time we have had days in the 80's and most nights in the 40's this late in the year. We have had some high 30's at night but it hasnt hurt the tomatoes if you keep them covered. I even had red tomatoes this year. Thats a first for me since I've moved here 5 years ago. Later this week the weather is suppose to change big time and a chance of snow and mid to high 20's for nighttime temps. Summer was great while it lasted!!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Well, I've been trying to make the best of my early frost (August 21) and decided to have less annuals and more perennials. They still look beautiful, even though it is getting cooler and more frosts are ahead.

Ogrose- I know what you mean about the long, cold winters...but I don't think I could take the hot summers again and the humidity! It was bad and I was a little kid, living in shorts and sandals...I can't imagine trying to dress up for work in that weather. At least you're finally getting a break and can share pretty pictures of your garden, while we're watching it snow :)

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, when I was working, spent about 20 seconds going from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned car, about 1 minute from the parking lot to the air conditioned office, so didn't feel too abused. Here in Texas we like to complain, but in actual time spent in our weaher, not too bad! Working outside is a different story, getting up at 7am to 85 Degrees and heading up is not fun, consequently not too much gets done during this time outside at my house besides watering. I'm paying the price right now with areas that didn't get mulched earlier, but am loving this cooler weather, it's like an unexpected gift!

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

I know I couldn't physically survive in Texas but I sure do enjoy going to visit my sister in Flower Mound long about March or so. Everytime I see how fabulously the vines grow there and the old fashioned roses I practically swoon from pure envy. On my last trip there a few years ago my sister took me to the Dallas Arboretum when the spring blooms were at their peak. Breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe it. I took something like over 250 pictures just of that outing.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Freezengirl, yes, the Dallas Arborteum is great, they have done a wonderful job I think; when I was really into photography they would let our club in there quite early to catch the light for our pictures. At other times I would go by myself; one time the photography shop gave me the totally wrong slide film, and I ended up with very different weird colored pictures I wouldn't trade for anything!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting