Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Plant info rarely contains safety concerns

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I know a lot of people say that you can train/teach your children to not eat plants in the garden, so any plant is fine to grow. However, if you have a lot of visiting children in your yard, that may not be so easy.

I don't grow any really toxic plants...too many nieces/nephews, horses, kitties, etc. running around in the summer. The last thing I want is a child with a bad reaction to a plant...and at least a half hour to the nearest hospital.

It seems like a lot of people are trying gardening for the first time. While most plants have some basic info on their tags, including zones (although lately, not as many) I think it would be very helpful to rate plants with a green, yellow or red tag. Green for roses and other "safe" plants, yellow for plants that are slightly toxic but nothing too bad, and red for plants like yews and lily of the valley. A green tag wouldn't mean your should eat it, but that it's relatively safe in the garden.

I'm not talking about government regulation (we have enough of that already) but just a general idea of what plants are safe, slightly toxic and very toxic. It would make it much easier for people with pets and children, who are just starting out. It amazes me how many people (at least in our area) plant sweet peas in gardens for small children and have no idea the pods can be poisonous...or that violets are much safer than lily of the valley.

What do you think? Would the red tags scare off too many gardeners?

Comments (20)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Frankly, I just don't think they are necessary. I grew up with two gardens, and I never ate anything I should not have, and neither did any of our pets.
    Sure some folks have pets who eat the wrong things, (heck, some folks have kids who eat the wrong things!!) but I think that it is not so frequent an occurrence that it rates warnings. It would simply get to complicated.
    What really needs to happen is for families to be with and watch their very smallest children to ensure they aren't eating things they should not. Train the kids well and chances are they will no do stuff like eat the wrong thing. I try and train my pets as well. They do not eat house plants (ok, Monkey likes to eat the leaves of devil's ivy but it doesn't stay down for long...) and Boo only ever ate grass when she was outside.

GGG

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

In addition to agreeing with GGG above, I think it would be very difficult to do accurately, since different animals are sensitive to different plants.

It could also open up a real can of worms (no pun intended) in that some individuals have sensitivities that others don't, and could leave the grower (labeller) open for a liability suit (OK, so I live in the most litigious state in the union).

In 30+ years of gardening and raising children and animals, I've only had one that ate anything it shouldn't have*: a Chesapeake Bay retriever who ate anything ... including hardwood mulch. I just had to switch to shredded oak leaves for the back gardens, which was cheaper and better for the soil anyway.

*Of course, this statement excludes the various so-called "foods" that most adolescents seem to think are essential. Thank goodness mine seem to be finished with that phase! I don't think I could take the smell of another midnight microwaved frozen deep-fried blooming onion.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

This seems like a sensible idea but as agardenstateofmind says it would be very complicated to do in practice. Toxicity when eaten is not the only issue with plants. For example your 'green' label for roses only covers a kid eating the plant (highly unlikely). But roses are hardly harmless. How would the system deal with the much commoner scenario of scratches which then require a tetanus jab or go septic? So then you start requiring labels such as 'Thorns may scratch', 'Grass blades may cut'. We already have it in food labelling where your packet of peanuts says 'Warning! Contains nuts'. I think I'd just go for exact informaton on labels, not a traffic light system. Or nothing at all since the actual occurrence of plant poisoning is extremely low and death is incredibly rare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxic plants

• snowgardener
    13 years ago

Ah, you would like the book "Wicked Plants" by Amy Stewart.

No, I don't think it is a good idea to label plants with a warning. I have kids and even the one who put everything in his mouth I never worried about him grabbing a foxglove. I don't believe in creating a bubble around my kids. I prefer to teach them to make intelligent choices.

I have a friend who threw out a datura which was a gift from her mother because she was afraid the wildlife in her yard might eat it and die. I tried repeatedly to talk her out of it telling her that the wildlife knows better and it wouldn't be an issue. I think she was picturing in her mind a pile of animal carcasses scattered in a ring around the plant when she went outside in the morning. But she did an internet search on them and read all the dire warnings about their toxicity. I asked her if she looked up the toxicity of all the azaleas in her yard.

So, if plants were suddenly labeled for safety (and honestly, don't we have enough of that these days?) you would see a lot of great plants that have been happily grown for centuries suddenly become obsolete.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Roses are also edible and nutritious :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Agardenstateof_mind- Good point! You'd need such a long disclaimer, it probably wouldn't fit on a seed packet...let alone a plant tag! LOL

Flora- You know, that's another thing many people don't know...that roses can mean a quick trip to the doctor for a tetanus shot.

Snowgardener- Thanks for the book recommendation. If I had kids, they would know not to put any plants in their mouths, without checking with me, first. That's the way my mom was, with us. However, it AMAZES me that so many people (including my own friends and relatives) do not do that...maybe because they don't garden. I have to be very strict with all the nieces, nephews and friends' kids...or some of them would be running wild...even in the horse pasture, running between the horses! Wow, my mom would have gone balistic if we had done that...LOL

GGG- Roses are wonderful. I wish I could grow more, but the deer keep me pretty limited on location. So far, if they're against the house, with lots of herbs (especially lavender) in front of them, it seems to be working...so far :)

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

I don't think it would hurt to have a pet/kid friendly tags. I was recently in BIG BOX store looking for some house plants that are non toxic to kids and dogs. I told the guy "You have a pet section now, how about putting pet friendly plants there so we know what would be pet safe".
    A grunt was all I got.
    I always remind grandkids and visiting neighbor children to NEVER eat anything in my garden without asking me first. Milkweed looks too much like tarragon,Jatropha pods look too much like my Barbados cherries. I could never plant JUST edible plants so training is key but my one dog,,,,he scares me. A books of stamps,rolls of toilet paper, dollar bills,important papers,ANYTHING goes in his mouth! He even goes into my purse and my husbands brief case and drags stuff out!
    Tanya

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

Just a look at the ASPCA listing of plants toxic to dogs, cats and horses is mind-boggling. And that list doesn't even take into consideration birds, pot-bellied pigs, rabbits, chickens, ferrets....

It is the responsibility of parents and pet owners to do their homework and train/restrain/keep an eye on their charges. It is not the responsibility of growers, sellers, or hosts, nor should it be.

The information is out there for those who care. Just a few of the many reliable online resources:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/plants_poisonous_to_pets.html

http://www.healthypet.com/PetCare/PetCareArticle.aspx?art_key=655a2b98-fe3f-4162-b9e4-af262ec76c7c

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tanya- Your dog sounds like a handful :)

It would be really helpful if some of the big box stores could have a link to the ASPCA website or some kind of list printed off, as you're shopping. I try to write up some kind of list, before I leave, but there's always a few plants that are on sale...and of course, me with no way of looking them up. Being 25 miles from the store, it's not worth it to go home and drive back again, for a few dollars off. It could be a good marketing tool, but it's up to the store to decide if they want to do it.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

A much more practical concern for people should be plants that they keep *inside* the house. A bored cat or dog, or even a bored 1 year old, is a lot more likely to get into trouble with a plant inside the house than outside the house.

I really never even thought about it outside...my Mom always told me to never put anything in my mouth without asking her first. One time I took some berries off a mountain ash at Grandma's house and was playing with them and Grandma gave me a good whoopin. And she never, ever would even smack our hands. But she wanted me to know that you never, ever even play with random berries you find outside.

There's only so much you can do to protect people and at some point you just have to put a limit on it

I live in a small yard in the city and have foxgloves and dutchman's pipe. Someone said I shouldn't have it because of children around, etc. To be honest, I don't really care. Is it poisonous and could they get into it? I suppose. But how often do you hear on the news of a little kid dying from eating a foxglove flower? I don't think I've ever read of anything like that.

I think labels would just scare people. There are so many poisonous or slightly poisonous plants out there that the 'fradey cats out there trying to live in a bubble would literally probably plant nothing.

Although I bought a foxglove this year on it and it did have a little warning saying "highly toxic".

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

That's it - we need an app so you can look up plant info while shopping! I have a Blackberry, not an iphone, so there aren't nearly as many apps - and since I rarely nursery shop, I wouldn't use it that often. But I bet it would come in handy - you could plug in the latin and/or common name, and it would give you all of the growing info, warnings, mature size, etc. I wonder if someone has already made one...

• ianna
    13 years ago

In general it's a good idea to keep children informed but not frightened by plants. it's better to teach them not the eat flowers at all.

However, I do avoid plants that can be considered lethal - that includes castor bean, monkshood and foxgloves. I also avoid plants that produce saps that can irritate like adelpha (also can be lethal).

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

irene, that's a great idea! I wonder why no one has come up with it so far!

Or even a little mini-gardener's dictionary/encyclopedia for an app for an iphone/blackberry/android! What a magnificent idea. Too bad I don't know how to do programming!

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Yes Irene!AN app!Hubby made a copy of a list for me and I have it folded neatly in my purse. I want to get some indoor plants and so far have a small birds nest fern,out of reach of course!
    NO one expects nurseries to be responsible for this but I would go to one that had that info readily available if there was one. Someone out there could make a killing
    (no pun intended)

Mickey found a small bottle of green acrylic paint and squirted it all over my tile floor (and him)
    Some other of his gatherings!
    {{gwi:751022}}{{gwi:751023}}{{gwi:751024}}
    tanya

• cedarglen
    13 years ago

Ok, I have to say I agree with the original post. This has actually been on my mind a lot this week - one of my magazines came in the mail and it had an article on poisonous plants that really freaked me out. I have foxglove everywhere - it grows naturally all over my 5 acres and has self seeded extensively in the gardens right by my house, deck, patios, etc. I always knew it was toxic but kept it because it's so darn pretty, but then I read that ONE NIBBLE of ANY part of the plant would kill an adult. I had no idea - I'd pictured an upset stomach at worst. I have a young toddler who is very well parented, well taught, and constantly watched, and yet he is still a toddler. If you have ever had one, especially a busy one like mine, you know that no amount of teaching can guarantee that a very small child won't put something in his mouth. If my son is feeling especially rambunctious he might pop a rock in his mouth just to vex me. What if he popped a leaf in his mouth? I'm pulling them all out during his naps this week. It's a huge job, but I don't want the risk. Anyhow, I would have appreciated a little disclaimer somewhere letting me know just how dangerous these plants are... I guess I didn't buy them, but all the same...

Happy gardening!

• HerbLady49
    13 years ago

I have to tell you that myself being a retired nurserywomen I had to be extreamely careful to make sure I watched what I sold and poisonous plants were never sold. Once I had a women who was obviously pregnant and I knew that she was into herbs and herbal remedies. She had a couple of yarrow plants. I asked her what she was going to do with them, and she told me that she was going to make a tea. Yarrow can induce abortions. It must have been that little inner voice that made me ask her, but for crying out loud, who would expect some adult to eat yarrow. I think it's up to the parents to be vigilant and research every plant before they purchase. I always encouraged the use of gardening gloves, because there are organisms in the soil that can cause nasty infections. I think we all have to use common sense when gardening. Don't ingest untested plants, frequently wash your hands, and get your herbal supplements from the health food store. If you have frequent visiting children and your concerned what they might eat then don't grow questionable plant material.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of my biggest concerns has been how many books (especially newer ones) do NOT list safety concerns with the plants. My mom and I have been getting a lot of books from the library lately, and I've been very surprised that many of the books have no warnings, whatsoever. Maybe they assume people already know, but if a plant is highly toxic, there should be some kind of mention in a book that goes into extreme detail on all other aspects of the plant.

For me, it's not worth the risk. My biggest concern is what plants are extremely toxic to horses (my kids) but I don't grow any plants that are highly toxic to children, either. That's just my personal decision, since I do have so many visiting children at our farm. My mom grows sweet peas, lily of the valley and many other plants that I do not, but she also doesn't have small children running around in her yard.

I guess, if people KNOWINGLY choose to grow toxic plants, fine...but many people don't seem to have a clue what they have growing in their own yard.

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Holy Cow Manure HerbLady I just had the WORST and most disgusting finger infection from working without gloves! Usually whatever gets caught up makes its way out but not this time.It got HOT and greenish ,and doubled in size.
    Had to have a shot of lidocaine then the Doc sliced my nail vertically and skinned my finger to clean it out.
    YES!!!!!
    GLOVES and Tetanus shots are a MUST!!!
    tanya

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

I guess it's a personal decision. I won't grow castor beans - it's just way too easy for an unsuspecting kid to walk up and eat the beans because, after all, as humans, we eat beans.

I don't have a problem with my foxgloves, though, I doubt children will eat a fox glove, but I guess you never do know. I love them so much thought that I could never even possibly consider getting rid of them!

And part of the reason I have rose bushes is to keep prowlers, etc. at bay. I HOPE they run into that rose bush! That's what it's there for :).

• lily51
    13 years ago

I agree with those who think a warning system on plants would be difficult, how toxic and in what way? And then if one isn't labeled as dangerous, but someone's personal sensitivity causes a severe reaction, who is responsible?
    i have always steered away from foxglove since it's the original source of the heart medicine digitalis. As one person said, one can never fully trust a toddler.

One granddaughter, who loves plants and greenhouses, went to one with her mom and myself. She was enthralled by all the flowers and herbs. Before we knew it, she had hives all over her face and had to have benedryl. We have no idea which plant affected her...talked to the owner and they had no suggestions, but they were very concerned. Was probably just her own sensitivity. She has never had this problem since, or in any garden.

Be watchful, teach kids not to eat plants unless you say it is okay, plant what you know is safe until they are older.

About the only thing our labs love in the garden is the tomatoes..could eat them by the bushel if we didn't watch them, and sweet corn.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider