Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lefleur1_gw

What's up with my snapdragons?

lefleur1
12 years ago

~~ or maybe I should say: what's DOWN with my snapdragons?

They are very pretty BUT are all basically flat on the ground!

The only ones that are upright are the ones I have stakes all around them ~~ what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• Merilia
    12 years ago

If this is something that only just started happening, I would assume they got blown over in bad weather. If they've always been like this, perhaps you accidentally got a trailing variety?

The snapdragons I grow are about 2 feet tall and have never needed staking, but sometimes they'll flop a bit if they accidentally get hit with a strong burst of water from the hose. Even then they tend to recover within a day.

• lefleur1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, they've been *flat* since day one. Hmmm ~ I don't think they are a trailing snapdragon; however, that's an interesting idea. Actually, I didn't even know there was such a thing.

I started them from seeds from several different friends and their snaps were upright. I think they had a little more sun. (?)

They are in good soil (too rich?) They are very long and leggy with a pretty bloom on the end (the blooms themselves are pretty much upright. The *sprawling* on the ground makes the whole thing look messy ~ disappointing as all get out!

I water that area regularly ~ too much ~ (?)

When the blooms fade I cut them back, however I only cut the faded bloom. I wonder what would happen if I managed the follow the LONG stem back & cut it near the bottom. (?)

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I don't have the tall one,i have the short ones.2 things i know about them they don't like a lot of heat/sun,nor do they like too much water.Stick your finger in the soil if it's still damp about 2 "down,then don't water.

I learned that the hard way,DH kept thinking they were dry as he didn't put any mulch around them.He practically "killed them with kindness",water,when i realized whatwas happening i asked him to stop watering unless he checked the soil first.

He's of the mind set that if a little is good,more is better,NOT.
    Kathi

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

The condition is called Gravitropism and in basically a form of cellular mutation or morphism. Many factors involved in this. Water as usual and enjoy your crooked flowers! :)

• lefleur1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

honalee ~~~ are you still here???

Did I do something wrong? Will all the snapdragons that come up next year from the seeds of the current snaps have the same problem? Would it be my soil causing the problem? Can I *do* something to the soil?

The flower spikes themselves are very pretty ~ but ~ but ~ they are sprawled flat on the ground with very LONG stems.

I spent more than an hour on goggle last night but all the
    info was too technical and I just couldn't *get it*

HELP!!!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

It is very technical but from what I understand it is not genetic. It is mostly due to the light conditions once the seed has germinated and the seedlings start to grow. Tomatoes tend to do the same thing, just as an example. Starting seed indoors is better accomplished under lights than in front of a window. They need that overhead light to grow straight up instead of reaching for the light. Snap dragons take well to fall and winter sowing here in Zone 3 and they readily reseed. Perhaps fall/winter sowing would be a way to avoid this condition next spring. :)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz