Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Petunia, Pretty Much Picasso

Annie
12 years ago

Does anyone grow this petunia?

I want to know if it is as fabulous as purported to be.

If so, I definitely want to grow it next year.

Post pictures of it growing in your garden, too, please.

I've seen ones on the internet, but they are often "Doctored" to look richer and better. I want to know what it really looks like.

~Annie

Comments (7)

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Annie, last year I planted PMP in my largest pot and loved it. Of course I fertilized and watered it regularly. This is one plant and it looked better IRL than in the pic.

{{gwi:728753}}

This year I planted several in my new bed and the soil was not the greatest, I didn't fertilize much, and it rained constantly until August so not enough heat and sun. All I can say is that it's a pretty ground cover but not as impressive as in the pot and I haven't bothered to take pics.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

luckygal,

That is very pretty in the pot. I generally only grow mine in pots anyway, because bugs eat them up when in the ground, especially Rolly Pollies.

Thank you so much.
    Beautiful photo, btw
    ~Annie

• Merilia
    12 years ago

Until now I thought rolly pollies only ate rotten things under rocks; I had no idea they could eat living plants! I always pictured them as innocent critters that kids played with when they flipped over rocks.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

The rollie pollies usually prefer dead plant material but they can and do turn their appetite toward living things. Stawberries in particular are a known favorite of theirs, but there are many others.

tj

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

BTW- Meant to say very nice pot you have there luckygal.

tj

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

I am growing it this year. This spring, when there were only a few flowers, I wasn't all that impressed. Now they have taken off in the summer heat and are doing wonderful. I have to say, the green edge of the flowers blends in to the foliage an awful lot. I moved my pot of em' to somewhere where they could be seen up-close to admire the unusual coloration.

Here is a pic of mine:
    {{gwi:284317}}

The green Nicotiana and 'Gay's Delight' Coleus (green foliage with purple/magenta vein) help bring out the green edge of the PMP petunia I think...
    CMK

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tj is absolutely correct. Rolly Pollies LOVE strawberries. Yum, yum! But they just take a bite or two out of EACH berry, not wanting to be hogs and eat them all up!
    Yes, they love other juicy things in the garden too, like sweet yummy Petunias.

Christin, your flowers are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for showing me your PMPs. Your companion plants are perfect choices for it.

~Annie