Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify purple asters all aster fans please!

Posted by keesha2006 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 15:00

My boss brought in a vase of flowes from her garden today to ask me what these flowers were....she got them in an ass. of seeds she got from a school fundraiser and lost the package. She said they came in ass. colors but these were her favs...and now mine too..they were STUNNING...and I would like to order online some seeds of JUST this variety is anyone can help. It is a deep dark purplish blue..very dark with a bright sunny yellow center....any idea what it is any of you aster lovers? I want to order the seed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify purple asters all aster fans please!

MATSUMOTO ASTER = CALLISTEPHUS ASTER = CHINA ASTER
My guess is........:
Callistephus Matsumoto Blue
.......or something like that. :)

Libby

o

I agree with Libby.
The link at the bottom shows a photo (text not in English).

You can get just the purple at Annies Annuals:
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/a/aster_MB.htm

(photo from Annie's isn't showing the color as dark as the one below).

Patti

Here is a link that might be useful: Aster 'Matsumoto Blue'

o

It is very similar to that ladies, but it is not quite it..it is much much bluer..more colbalt blue than purple..tho it does have a royal purpish hint to it..but much more on the blue side...otherwise looks just like that and equally as rich...I searched and searched the net with not much luck...

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 21:26

Hi,
The link below brings up Fan Mix Asters at Harris Seeds because there is blue in the mix. When there though, if you click the Aster link on the left of the page, it will bring up a few other varieties to look at. They all differ a bit from fairly single with large yellow centers to fully double.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Fan Mix Asters

o

Moved to the Boston area, from the Berkshires, in 2005. Back in the late nineties, I began noticing a richly royal purple native species growing along road-sides, bordering farmland, etc. The flowers are a little less puffy-looking, than the species mentioned here so far. The following URL will take you to a picture of it, but the photo shows a lavender-colored flower, rather than the vivid purple that practically kidnaps one's attention when spied:

http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/Wildflower.asp?ID=37

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: wildflowerinformation.org

o

I have these blooming all over the place this year. I ordered the seeds from Harris Seeds. They call them Powderpuff Mixture, & Giant Ray Mixture. They are incredible...See photos.

o

These are the wild asters growing on my land. The plants have a wide range in size. The ones receiving regular water can grow to be 4-5 feet tall.

Photobucket

Lorna

o

There's also one called Astoria that looks like daisies with big yellow centers that has a deep blue listed in the mix.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here