Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deemkelleher

Forsythia and knockout rose?

deemkelleher
10 years ago

Hello.
I need some advice. We have a privacy wall in sun comprised of about five arborvitae behind a row of some forsythia bushes. My husband cuts the forsythia bushes back annually (not in a boxy shape) just to keep them from getting too big for the spot. There's also some golden euonymous groundcover in there (not my favorite). A few years ago, I temporarily planted some peonies in front of the forsythia. Now I would like to move the peonies and fill the area in with something that provides color throughout the summer. I'm tired of seeing green there all summer. I was thinking of putting some red knockout roses there, but I'm undecided what to put in front of the forsythia. I do have balloon flowers, firepower nandina, or may night salvia available to move also. I just don't know what to do. I'm new to designing spaces so advice is appreciated. Thanks!

This post was edited by deemkelleher on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 15:30

Comments (7)

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

I have had the Blushing Knockout roses for over ten years. Repeated flushes of bloom, that go away cleanly. No aphids, black spot, and only Japanese Beetles, which I manage.
    I prune them back to about 18 inches alternate years. My daughter has the red. Both are fantastically easy.
    I find Firepower Nandina amazing, as displayed by a local nursery. Mine is not so great, but I would not advise against it.
    Harbor Dwarf Nandina has been here for years and, while not as unbelievable in color, it goes through the whole year nicely, with some fine Winter red shades.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

How well does the yellow Knockout Rose do? I don't see that many in the nurseries and hardly ever in peoples' gardens or landscaping. Plus I've noticed that the bloom begins yellow and fades to white.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Funny you should ask, schoolhouse. I came on here to find out why the Radsunnys are such poor performers. Ready to yank them out. The red knockouts are amazing & would make even the snootiest rose grower a fan. 2nd growing year with these and I am so disappointed.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Cenepk10. Glad you chimed in. Guess I'll give my equally struggling David Austin's Charlotte another year. ugh.

I agree about the Red KnockOuts. Altho I don't have them, many people in the area do and they are beautiful - even now in the third week of September. I really want a hardy yellow shrub rose tho.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Schoolhouse : maybe the radsunny is like a David Austin. It takes a few years to establish them. My David Austin's - also 2 yrs growing are doing so well. I would definitely would not recommend the radsunny. David Austin's Graham Thomas is FAR superior.

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

Yellow Knockout is a waste, because it quickly fades to white, but has all the vigor and disease resistance of the rest. I will not discard the one I have in a pot. It has enough flowers that some are yellow and others are every shade to white. My Blushing Knockouts are where they have been for about 8 years and worth every penny.
    I have a climber called Happy Face that fades as badly from yellow to white as the Knockout Rose does.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Bogturtle: is your Radsunny larger than a twig ? Curious ... I could overlook the fading if the plant didn't make me look like an abuser of vegetation !!!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner