Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Anyone grow Climbing Pinkie rose?

natal
13 years ago

After two seasons of Sweet Autumn clematis on my kitchen garden arbor I'm ready for a change. Am a complete rose novice. Not willing to grow any that require chemical care. I've heard that the antique varieties are much less susceptible to many common rose diseases. The one that has caught my eye is Climbing Pinkie. I'm thinking about planting one on either side of the arbor. I'm assuming I could plant this time of year or maybe in another month or so.

Has anyone purchased from Antique Rose Emporium out of Texas? I wanted to order from Countryside Roses in Pass Christian, MS, but Pinkie is out of stock.

Here is a link that might be useful: climbing pinkie

Comments (16)

• spazzycat_1
    13 years ago

I used to grow it on an arbor. It was a great rose, but it got Rose Rosette Disease in its 5th year and had to be removed. While I grew it, it was truly a non-spray rose and its thornless canes were a nice plus for an arbor rose. I ordered it from the Antique Rose Emporium, which is a top-notch operation.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I love my Pinkie. It gets some mildew in early spring but it blooms a heck of a lot. It is starting its fourth flush this year.

{{gwi:267371}}

Renee

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spazzycat, thanks for the heads up on the Rose Emporium!

Renee, that's absolutely stunning! Do you do anything for the mildew or is it mainly an aesthetic thing? Are the canes evergreen?

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I have purchased from Rose Emporium numerous times. I love them.
    Hose, that is GORGEOUS! Does this rose bloom all summer for you? I'm ready to move somewhere were my garden can look great all summer and roses bloom more abundantly. These last few years with drought and/or high temps my garden is a disappointing mess!! Yours is just beautiful!

• louisianagal
    13 years ago

natal, I grew cl. pinkie when I lived south of N.O. It was a great performer. It grew on a large arbor. I did not order it from A.R.E. but I've ordered from there since moving to MS and they are a good company.
    laurie

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Natal, I think so- everything seems to be evergreen here. I don't do anything for mildew. It goes away by itself for the most part, or I squint hard when it looks really bad so that I can't see it.

Thanks, GGG. As I type, my fall flush is being burnt to a crisp in 104 degree heat. Pinkie bloomed pretty much all summer, but this year was PERFECT up until now. We got a little rain and it was cool all summer here.

It's usually in the 100s much of the summer so the roses bloom, but they crisp before they fully open. I get a nice spring flush most years and then a fall flush if I'm lucky. I usually write off the summer.

I love this rose, though- it stood up to the hot weather very well.

Renee

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

Natal, I bought Cl Pinkie from ARE 2 years ago, and have had NO problems, it just grows and blooms and blooms! Cl Pinkie and Belinda's Dream are the best roses in my garden so far, and I don't think you can go wrong with ARE.

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all of you I'm thoroughly convinced! I'll order this week for a late October delivery. Hopefully it'll be cooler by then.

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They arrived today. I'll be planting tomorrow. Very impressed with the packaging from Antique Rose Emporium! They're right up there with Lazy S's Farm.

Thanks for all the responses!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I have not heard of that rose. Very pretty - pink roses are my favorite. This past spring I was finally able to find "Eve" (climber) and have it growing up one side of an arbor. I bought it from Heirloom Roses and it was "own root". Now I do not do well with bare root, but after talking to the grower, I decided to try own root. So far it's doing great. It's grown a good bit the last couple of months. Very healthy looking. Of course, no fertilizing and no fungicides, etc. the first year. Can't wait till next spring when it should bloom!!

Natal, per your rose and black spot, I'd keep a close watch on it. In my area, if you get black spot, it's almost a given that it has to be treated. I use a systemic product from Bayer. Inspect your canes thoroughly and make sure you don't see any bad places on them. Hopefully it is just minor and won't continue to be a problem. I've lost several roses myself to blackspot through the years.

tina

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing Tina. I'm hoping the advice from Antique Rose Emporium is correct. If I had to resort to a systemic the rose would be history.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Hopefully yours will do fine. Are you against using fungacides, etc. or just don't want the added work? What I use is easy and quick. Actually, unless I end up having to use it on the Eve rose, the few roses I have now are pretty resistant.

tina

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I try very hard to keep it organic. In fact, I don't even like to use some of the organic controls. I do use chemical fertilizer on some of the flower beds and trees, but that's as far as I'm willing to go. I'll be looking for an organic rose fertilizer in the spring.

• wildmutt
    11 years ago

How did that Pinky do? I bought one from The Antique Rose Emporium 12 years ago, put it in my Houston garden, ignored it, and it about took down my fence with its crzy growth by spring #3 !
    I am in South Florida now and I miss that rose.
    I am going to get another one. Probably will need to coddle it a bit down here.

• natal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wildmutt, I pulled them both out last fall and replaced with a variety of vines ... clematis, jasmine, honeysuckle, and Mexican Flame.

One hardly grew at all and the other quickly climbed all over the place. The love just wasn't there.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus