Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

A Hole to Fill in the Garden -- 4 pics

Nell Jean
15 years ago

Where the big oak fell during 'Fay' left a large hole near the driveway.

Here's a view from a year ago, in May when the Oakleaf Hydrangeas bloomed. The tree at left is the one that fell:

A closer view in the same direction, with a hole where the tree used to be. Small azaleas are in front of the big rock.

Looking down the driveway toward the highway.

Lycoris bloom here every fall. Vinca minor covers the ground when summer mowing ceases.

Spring bulbs come up through the vinca and lycoris foliage.

If we don't plant anything but grass after we fill the hole, hydrangeas will continue to spread. I could add more azaleas.

Nell

Comments (5)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Nell, are you not worried that the Oakleaf Hydrangea will be in too much afternoon sun now?

I just bought a small one to plant and am trying to find a spot sheltered from PM sun here, but full morning sun.

Do I need to be this worried about the shade thing?

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Hydrangea is underneath the limbs of a large pecan tree and partly shaded by the oak across the driveway in the second pic. The fallen oak was high shade at best, few limbs on the west side. Like many of my plants, this has morning shade and evening sun. It works. The roots go deep. If it wilts, I water. In the late afternoon, the trees in the woods across the road shade everything.

Shade varies with the seasons, too, not just leafless trees, but the sun moving from south to north and back on axis. I only worry about all day sun. Think about plants along the woods -- the ones growing on the west side of woods get afternoon sun but not a lot of midday sun. Much of my garden has morning shade.

Maybe I should plant some tulip poplar seeds I gathered in the winter at my brother's house. The pecan tree could fall next, but the tree people who sawed up the oak seemed to think it was sturdy.

• flowerchildky
    15 years ago

if you want a tree, my favorite is crepe myrtle..
    they should do good in your zone, and you can grow them
    from seed...

I have a pinkish/purple "Hopi" which is a small one, and my mom has a white and a pinkish/purple the large size

will be glad to send you seed if you want...
    it does take a bit of time to grow...

Linda in Louisville

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Linda. You're very kind to offer and crape myrtles are a great idea.

If you squint, in the 3rd picture you can see a white crape myrtle at the end of the bed perpendicular to the Oakleaf Hydrangeas. It has reached that point where they begin to gain some real size, just not enough for much shade yet.

I have pinkish purple 'Lilacina' in the front, several of them. It's an old, old cultivar that has grown here forever that I rescued from the shelter of a pecan tree in a pasture.

Thanks,
    Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: The second pic in the blog is the crape near the oakleafs

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

Nell,
    You have lots of good looking large trees on your property and across the street. I think a bush of some kind would be good to plant there.

Sue

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?