Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Teddy Bears in a Bucket

It is really a coal bucket, but I keep wanting to say 'Teddy Bears in a Barrel'. Rolls of the tongue better. Like shootin' Teddy Bears in a Barrel...Ok, that sounded a bit crazy!! Pay no attion to me, I am in one of my impish moods today, LOL.

This spring I sowed a few seeds (five to be exact) in the coal bucket I use as a planter. I adore the way this turned out!!

I also sowed some purple angelonia seed in there along the sides, but they must have washed out in all that rain we had this spring. Too bad, they probably would have been a nice color combo with the sunflowers. Three of the Teddy Bear Sunflowers germinated. They didn't get growing much until summer heat came, but they look great now! They have such amazing double heads AND are dwarf. Normally I don't always go for annuals I can't save seed of (pretty certain these are sterile sunflowers, since they are doubles), but I don't mind buying new seed each year of these. So cute and cottage-y!! Every cottage/country garden needs a few of these I think...;-)

CMK

Comments (10)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I noticed these in your other pictures and thought they were Teddies. I am a huge sunflower nut! I think I have about 35 varieties of seed and the birds volunteer white striped every year for me too. Such a sunny picture! The last ones I took were about 3 years ago......oh, maybe more than 3 years ago but that is not important. I have them on Photobucket in jugs I think. Took lots out to the cemetary with huge marigolds. Best sources for seed I have found are: :)

http://www.reneesgarden.com/

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/index.html

• Annie
    12 years ago

I noticed them in your other post too and thought they were adorable in that bucket. Perfect in your cottage garden too.
    I am kinda partial to Teddy Bears...because...that is my Papa's name and one of my given names too. "Annie" is a contraction of my names. Now your know.

I plant them every year and this year, too, but they didn't even germinate. Can I copy-cat your idea next year?

My potted plants did best this year since they got more water, and it is supposed to be the same/similar weather, if not worse, next year. (I hope that prediction is wrong.) :( Bummer.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Very cute! How did you keep the squirrels from eating the seeds? I have had no luck at all with sunflowers. As soon as the seeds go in the ground some varmint is digging them up.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

-honalee, bet your sunflower area is impressive. Do you have any favorite varieties? Next year I want to try a whole bunch of other kinds too.

-Annie, that is pretty cool. Yeah, go ahead and copy ;-) I love doing potted plants too, especially annuals. Plus with pots of plants you can move them around the garden as needed when there is a bare area or not enough color in another.

-Susan, you should try it the way I did it this spring!! I direct sowed the sunflowers in the coal bucket and then put chicken wire over the top of it until they were several inches tall. I also did something similar with that 'Moulin Rouge' Sunflower. I sowed them in a milk jug (like winter sowing) after last frost date. Once they were a couple of inches I carefully transplanted into a large pot to let them get bigger (eight inches or so) before planting out in the garden. I've read they don't transpalnt well, but I was very careful with mine and always made sure they had enough root room in the containers, so it worked out fine.
    CMK

12 years ago

CMK ~ Among my favorite SFs is Chocolate Cherry, Cinnamon Sun, Double Dandy, Peach Passion, Indian Blanket and The Joker. I just checked my SF list and I actually have 43 varieties.

I start them in the house or in a green house in peat pellets or peat pots so they will bloom earlier. They don't mind being transplanted as long as you don't disturb the roots and keep lots of soil or peat on the roots like a plug. I have started many in egg cartons, yogurt containers, little drink cups, ect. Very easy to grow and look awesome planted with large marigolds such as Crackerjack or Inca, and nastutium. Like a fall garden just glowing with color! I have also planted with broom corn and red millet. Lots of combinations that look great! Here's a few pics from a few years ago. :)

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Those little sunflowers are absolutely squeezable. I have poor luck getting them to germinate for me, which crack me up as I always read about them being such a great flower for children, since they're so easy to grow ;) I'll have to try again next spring.!

Original Author
    12 years ago

-honalee, those are awesome!!! Thanks so much for sharing your incredible pics. Is that double mauvish one 'Double Dandy'? I want it, lol! Just looked up a couple others you mentioned and also want 'Indian Blanket' now too!
    You have an impressive collection of sunflowers. Do you ever try saving the seed to see what the second year flowers look like? Or do you simply buy new seed every year?

-Ariel, that is too bad. Wonder if giving them a head start inside would help?
    CMK

12 years ago

I can't remember all the names in the pics since there is such an array of them but the pinkish one is Ruby Eclipse. I think the whiteish one in the last pic is Italian White. I've never collected seeds as I leave them for the birds and I'm pretty sure many of them are F1s and probably sterile. Here is my list last updated in 09 to which I have since added a couple of new ones. Enjoy!

Sunflower

1. Aura Vesey�s
    2. Autumn Beauty 6� Sunrise
    3. Baby bear Vesey�s 09
    4. Bicentenary 4-5� T&M
    5. Big Smile 10-12" T&T
    6. Bright Bandolier 5-7� Rene�s Garden
    7. Cherry Rose 5� Dominion
    8. Chocolate Cherry 5-7� Rene�s Garden
    9. Cinnamon Sun 5-7� Rene�s Garden

1. Claret Hybrid 4-6� T&M
    2. Dorado OSC 09
    3. Double Dandy Vesey�s
    4. Double Santa Fe Dominion Seed House 09
    5. Double Shine F1 5� T&M
    6. Drop Dead Red 4-6� Botanical Interests
    7. Dwarf Yellow Spray 18 � 24" T&M
    8. Earthwalker 9� Mr Fothergill�s
    9. Fantasy F1 4-5� Johnson�s
    10. Fantasy F1 4-5� Sunrise
    11. Firecracker vesey�s 09
    12. Florenza 4� T&T
    13. Henry Wilde McKenzie
    14. Incredible 18" McKenzie
    15. Indian Blanket OSC
    16. Indian blanket OSC 09
    17. Italian White Mr. Fothergill�s
    18. Jade 5� Dominion
    19. Jerusalem Gold Vesey�s 09
    20. Junior vesey�s 09
    21. Lemon �clair Vesey�s
    22. Lemon Queen 4-5� Sunrise
    23. Lemon Sorbet OSC 09
    24. Lemon Teddy 24" McFaydens 09
    25. Moonshadow OSC 09
    26. Moonwalker 8-12� Sunrise
    27. Pacino Parkseed
    28. Pacino 12" T&T
    29. Pacino Cola 12" T&T
    30. Pacino Lemon 12" T&T
    31. Panache Vesey�s
    32. Pastiche 4-5� T&M 2
    33. Peach Passion Vesey�s
    34. Razzmatazz 4-6� Vesey�s
    35. Red Sun 4-5� DT Brown
    36. Red Sun 4-5� Sunrise
    37. Ring Of Fire 36" T&T
    38. Ruby Eclipse 6� Vesey�s
    39. Russian Giant 8-10� T&M
    40. Solar Eclipse 5-6� T&M
    41. Soraya Parkseed
    42. Starburst Blaze F1 5� McKenzie
    43. Summertime OSC 09
    44. Sundance Kid Parkseed
    45. Sunspot OSC 09
    46. Tall sungold OSC 09
    47. Tangerine 6� Sunrise
    48. Teddy Bear 24" T&M
    49. Terracotta OSC 09
    50. The Joker Parkseed
    51. Valentine 5� T&M
    52. Velvet Queen 5� T&M

Hmmm. There may be more than 43! The numbers behind the names are the height in feet unless otherwise...

Original Author
    12 years ago

-honalee, WOW! I did enjoy that...maybe a little too much, LOL! I have just compiled a HUGE list of sunflowers I want for next year. Don't you feel ashamed for all that enabling??!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your list ;-)
    CMK

12 years ago

My name is Ginny and I am a Plant Enabler. OK now I feel better! Lol! I take it you understood all that rubbish at the end of the name! Silly computer! Many of the seed suppliers are in the US. The names of which DO follow the names of the seeds........in all that rubbish. I have enabling to an art form in some areas.Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting