Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
O.K. I've asked everywhere I can think of.....

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 15:50

A bit OT maybe, but, is anyone on this forum growing Baby Fordhook Lima Beans, Baby Fordhook NOT Fordhook 242, I've been searching for a source to buy or if anyone can spare a few seeds it would be very much appreciated. Most commercial sources I've looked at aren't offering them anymore. It looks like it's another variety that has to get into the hands of seed savers for presevation.

Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: O.K. I've asked everywhere I can think of.....

Have you asked anyone from the Cowichan Valley Garden club? I am going that way on friday to pick up my daylily, Jamacian Love!from Shawnigan Lake Daylily Farm. Road trip...hint hint....

o

Looks like you can get them right from Burpee.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Limas Fordhook

o

Burpee doesn't have them and apparently will not have them next year either :(.

o

try here -- www.amazon.com/gp/product/BOO4ZS18U2

o

Thanks Roxanna, had a look but they aren't the right ones, I'm looking for Baby Fordhook Limas, not Fordhook 242 :(.

o

Try Seed Savers Exchange. If you join as a member, then you get a catalogue of all the members who grow seeds of thousands of veggies and fruits and they list which seeds they grow and have for sale/trade. I haven't been a member in years, since I don't have enough sunny space to do much veggie gardening, but you might find lots of wonderful things to grow that you won't find anywhere else. Good luck.

Martha

o

Thanks Martha, this looks like the best bet for this hard to find bean, hopefully a member has it listed and will be contacted by someone who has a current membership. I'm a Seeds of Diversity member here in Canada but not a member of the Seed Savers Exchange.

Annette

o

Annette,

The Seeds of Diversity's website lists many suppliers - have you tried checking those out?

o

Thanks Ianna, I looked, Fordhook and Fordhook 242 have listings but no Baby Fordhook :(.

Annette

o

Seed Saver's Exchange catalog doesn't have Baby Fordhook, and only one listing for Fordhook 242, I'm afraid. New catalog will be out in a few months, and who knows what will be there.

However, I did find this:

http://www.everwilde.com/store/Baby-Fordhook-Lima-Bean-Seeds.html

I don't know if they ship to Canada, though.

o

eahamel, thanks for the link. They say not available yet, maybe there's some hope? Actually I'm looking for this bean for someone in the U.S. who has a more suitable climate for growing these. I'll watch to see if or when they are available, thanks again.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here