Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntyara

pics of my fence gardens

auntyara
11 years ago

my bush petunias are taking over.

I'm so tempted to pull them out cause I want to plant mums, but they look so pretty. Yet wild.

:) Laura

Comments (19)

• lavendrfem
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! My favorite color....

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

That's very pretty! Will the petunias bloom until fall? If so, I'd skip the mums altogether!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

sorry, I meant bloom until FROST.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

So very pretty, my favorite colors too:).

Annette

• Cher
    11 years ago

I'd leave them also. They look lovely and as long as they are blooming until frost they look great. Maybe just put in a couple mums.
    Cher

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

Beautiful. . . I would hold on to them too, but only you will know when to let them go. What decisions we gardeners have to make sometimes.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Too lovely to pull out. As pat tea says, it's a hard decision. If only my petunias would perform like that, I've tried several times.

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

Re: performance of petunias. My garden club had a representative from Proven Winners speak to us about petunias. PW petunias get small amounts of fertilizer every day because they are heavy feeders. I followed their recommendation of fertilizing with a half strength "orchid fertilizer" every day when I planted my petunias in a pot last spring. They got so big I had to keep cutting them because they were taking over my front porch. Here is a picture taken after I had given them a haircut. This is a very large pot and they had grown to the ground and would have kept going had I not cut them. I would think the same would work for petunias in the ground. I am going to try it next spring in my new gardens.

• mytime
    11 years ago

Beautiful combo of colors!

• auntyara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone :)
    I decided to leave them and plant mums somewhere else.

Pat tea, that is gorgeous! and judging by the dog, it's huge. I love the colors, it looks so sweet.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

auntyara, would love to know more about these 'bush' petunias.

And pat_tea, please tell us the number of plants you have in that fab container and what it's diameter is. Daily feeding: new to me, certainly easy to do.

Thanks!
    Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Auntyara- Those plants look much too good to pull out in favor of mums. I'd keep them.

Pat-tea- Very nice. Just how big are those plants?

tj

• User
    11 years ago

Beautiful display of Petunias auntyara,..i would be reluctant to remove them,..however gardeners are apt to do things that are in their mind,..think carefully before you decide.

pat tea that is one big pot of Petunias and in tip top condition.

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Auntyara, your petunias are very pretty along that fence! I've never heard of bush petunias either and am interested in knowing more because I too am z5a, but don't use many annuals.

• auntyara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all,
    thanks so much again.
    I received seeds from an awesome person on the WS a few years ago and I just love them.
    If anyone is interested, send me an email for my addy and I will gladly share for a sase.
    It's all about paying it forward around here

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura bush petunias

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Laura, can't figure how to email you. Would LOVE some of your seed. My email is part of my posting name - See it up there?

Thanks so much, Rosie

• auntyara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosie,
    auntyara@yahoo.com
    BTW my youngest daughter's name is Rose too.

• auntyara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just fixed my member page to include my email. I had no idea i had "turned it off" lol I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Just beautiful! It really is stunning & thanks for the info. on how to successfully grow petunias!

Rena'