Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pics of my fence gardens

Posted by auntyara 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 16:17

Photobucket
Photobucket

my bush petunias are taking over.
I'm so tempted to pull them out cause I want to plant mums, but they look so pretty. Yet wild.
:) Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pics of my fence gardens

Absolutely gorgeous! My favorite color....

o

That's very pretty! Will the petunias bloom until fall? If so, I'd skip the mums altogether!

o

sorry, I meant bloom until FROST.

o

So very pretty, my favorite colors too:).

Annette

o

I'd leave them also. They look lovely and as long as they are blooming until frost they look great. Maybe just put in a couple mums.
Cher

o

Beautiful. . . I would hold on to them too, but only you will know when to let them go. What decisions we gardeners have to make sometimes.

o

Too lovely to pull out. As pat tea says, it's a hard decision. If only my petunias would perform like that, I've tried several times.

o

Re: performance of petunias. My garden club had a representative from Proven Winners speak to us about petunias. PW petunias get small amounts of fertilizer every day because they are heavy feeders. I followed their recommendation of fertilizing with a half strength "orchid fertilizer" every day when I planted my petunias in a pot last spring. They got so big I had to keep cutting them because they were taking over my front porch. Here is a picture taken after I had given them a haircut. This is a very large pot and they had grown to the ground and would have kept going had I not cut them. I would think the same would work for petunias in the ground. I am going to try it next spring in my new gardens.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 12:43

Beautiful combo of colors!

o

Thanks everyone :)
I decided to leave them and plant mums somewhere else.

Pat tea, that is gorgeous! and judging by the dog, it's huge. I love the colors, it looks so sweet.

o

auntyara, would love to know more about these 'bush' petunias.

And pat_tea, please tell us the number of plants you have in that fab container and what it's diameter is. Daily feeding: new to me, certainly easy to do.

Thanks!
Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

o

Auntyara- Those plants look much too good to pull out in favor of mums. I'd keep them.

Pat-tea- Very nice. Just how big are those plants?

tj

o

Beautiful display of Petunias auntyara,..i would be reluctant to remove them,..however gardeners are apt to do things that are in their mind,..think carefully before you decide.

pat tea that is one big pot of Petunias and in tip top condition.

o

Auntyara, your petunias are very pretty along that fence! I've never heard of bush petunias either and am interested in knowing more because I too am z5a, but don't use many annuals.

o

Hi all,
thanks so much again.
I received seeds from an awesome person on the WS a few years ago and I just love them.
If anyone is interested, send me an email for my addy and I will gladly share for a sase.
It's all about paying it forward around here

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura bush petunias

o

Laura, can't figure how to email you. Would LOVE some of your seed. My email is part of my posting name - See it up there?

Thanks so much, Rosie

o

Rosie,
auntyara@yahoo.com
BTW my youngest daughter's name is Rose too.

o
RE: pics of my fence gardens more

I just fixed my member page to include my email. I had no idea i had "turned it off" lol I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

o

Just beautiful! It really is stunning & thanks for the info. on how to successfully grow petunias!

Rena'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here