Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crackingtheconcrete

My Heuchera River Begins, Blue Bunny Hydrangea, and Joyful Coleus

I was given some beautiful Heuchera divisions, so am on round 2 of trying to make a heauchera river (mostly amber/peachy colored) weave through my teeny garden. They're a little non-perky right now, but I think you can see them starting in one corner, and going across.

I jumped across the stepping stones and planted two there. We'll see how they do!

{{gwi:271662}}

Right now, my "banks" are just a hodge podge of plants I desperately wanted to keep (Banana Creme Shasta Daisy, Baptisia, Daylily Seedlings, a new Snowflake Primula) so I'm sure I will need to arrange these better later.

Here is my Blue Bunny Hydrangea, which I thought I was sacrificing blooms to make it bushy and really trimmed it back, then Voila!! LOTS of round little bobblies!

I know most people cut thier coleus flowers off, but I thought these looked so joyful!

And these..

And lastly, a gorgeous Morning glory picoteed some darling person gave me in an exchange! ( I love love love picotee and variegated things..and green things)

(Also, I have pics of my perennial hanging basket, I tried to win a contest with.. and failed. LOL)

Comments (8)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Things look really nice in your garden. Look at the seedpods on your daylily scapes, they look near ready to bust.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Rita :)
    I'll be even more excited when things begin blooming and /or fill out.
    I did some crosses with Marietta Polka-dot and some with Symphony of Praise because theyre both such great plants - and of course have nowhere to plant them all, so I'll probably pop them up on exchange later :)

• susie_gardener_2007
    12 years ago

Absolutely love that Morning Glory! Fabulous pictures! Thanks for posting them.

Susie

• Annie
    12 years ago

Your Heuchera river looks good already. Love that magenta river flowing through the plants. Pretty. It just glows.
    I do the same thing with my coleus. I really like the airy flowers, and another good thing is that they will self-seed and you should have some come up next year. I have the same coleus too, btw.
    The picote MG is divine! Love 'picoteed' flowers and variegated things too. And greens of all colours are my faves.
    Love, love love it all. Bravo!

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much!! :) I love how fiery and glowing the heucheras are in the sunlight!
    I didn't know that coleus would reseed in cold climates, but that's fantastic news :)
    Also, I noticed my message cut off (lol Love that!) but someone on this forum had asked about my perennial planter on my chain link fence and I posted it to Perennials. It has sedums and oregano in it :)

• Annie
    12 years ago

I grow my coleus in pots. In late September, I move them into the greenhouse. By mid-winter, they usually die back, but the seeds drop into the pots and I have 'babies" come up in late March or April, depending up the amount of sun they get and when I start watering everything again to bring them out of dormancy.
    Just thought I ought to "splain" that better.
    Same thing happens with my Basils, Petunias and Periwinkles, too. Oh, and the Polka Dot Plant (Hypoestes phyllostachya)- it comes back every year. I had two come up in one of my potted cactus this year and one came up in the Butterfly Ginger pot. I love these plants. The leaves are so colorful!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Love, love, love your heuchera river! Such a good idea. Your path has such a pretty combination of plants. I am making mental notes for my garden...

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cyn, thank you. :)

Three years ago, I read/saw this gorgeous article on either Garden Design or Horticulture about a guy who creates "rivers" of one kind of plant flowing trough banks of other plants. One river he had was a purple heuchera, another was that flaming red-tipped grass, and another was maybe a blue salvia? I stashed the pictures somewhere and had tried with some heucheras a few years ago, but some of the kinds dwindled and vanished, whereas Southern Comfort thrived. So, I'm filling in and trying again :)
    I'm absolutely awful with planning for plant height around things, but whatever lol

Sponsored