Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Final plant flourish

mantis__oh
11 years ago

After a beastly summer, temps in the 60s and 70s are producing a final flourish.

ANENOMES (Honorine Jobert and Bressingham Glow) are about at peak now.

{{gwi:277088}}

CELOSIA have mammoth heads:

BROWALLIA love the cooler weather:

{{gwi:24048}}

My dog poses with a pot of begonias:

Lush foliage at end of September:

{{gwi:275923}}

A butterfly visiting the lingering flower of a butterfly bush is outlined against a Mother of Pearl rose:

One of a late flush of Ronald Reagan:

Does anyone know the name of this dahlia?

Massive Sparticus:

Thomas Edison:

Some hastily cut:

Red Hat:

The blooms of canna Pink Sunburst (a wonderful plant for

pots) linger in the cooler weather:

Heavy geranium blossoms spill out:

Reds (Rouge Royale) are so much more intense in the cool fall:

One could go on and on, but the days are limited.

Comments (15)

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Those are all beautiful,the colors are so bright and vibrant,and your picture taking ain't too shabby either.Love them all.TFS

We've had such a hot summer this year in S.Calif that nothing looks as good as usual.
    TFS
    Kathi

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Lovely pictures!!! Your dog looks like he has a touch of English: "We are NOT amused" lol! Gorgeous butterfly shot! My poor neglected dahlias are finally getting blooms!

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Loper does have an English sobriety in this photo.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Loper is adorable! How is he in the gardens? Do you have to protect anything?

What is the name of that celosia? Did you start it from seed, or buy plants? Are those tropicals in pots that you bring in? Such nice foliage in that photo.

Those anemonies are outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the foliage pic, there are Rex begonias that are purchased as annuals, there are coleus, there is colocasia California (which is stored over winter), and there are dracena that are stored over winter. Loper wanders around the garden without any events; he occasionally gets excited by a squirrel. The celosia was self-sewn. Years ago, I had some New Look and this is what has resulted (much larger).

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Love anenomes. Your dahlias are spectacular, roses, and the rest too.

Loper, too cute.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!! Really enjoyed your pics. And your dog looks so sweet, what a cutie!

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Correction: the upright elephant ears is alocasia macrorrhiza. It is a dramatic background plant that is easy to grow.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, I especially love the pic with the red geraniums spilling out of the white pickets and pup is a real cutie.

Annette

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! and yes your little Loper is definitely making a face lol.
    thanks for sharing
    :) Laura

• chickadee_42us
    11 years ago

I love the foliage picture. You certainly have a lot of color showing - congratulations. Great fertilizing???

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I don't know how I missed this. Lovely blooms, Mantis. Everything looks beautiful. I especially love the Zebra Swallowtail picture. that is one butterfly that I very rarely see in my yard. Excellent photo. The dahlias are beautiful.
    kay

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Love your pup! Quite a handsome fellow!! I want to ask if you support your dahlias? If so, with what. I have no idea how to support the monsters that grow in my garden. Maybe I should be pinching mine back so they don`t get so big. Your plants are just lovely and I enjoyed the tour! Lesley

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lesley: I am not an expert in growing dahlias, but I do pinch the first shoot or two of each plant to get more bushiness; and yes, I do use pole stakes or tomato cages and then tie a light twine around them as they grow. Some people use rebar as a stake. I do find the staking to be more work than I prefer, but dahlias provide such a great September show. I'm sure you will get more experienced advice on the dahlia forum.

Thanks for your comments, Kay. Indeed, Loper thanks everyone for commenting.

The only fertilizer I use on the pots is Miracle Gro. Pots, of course, have to be watered almost daily.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh. So many flowers at this time of year! I'm jealous.
    Renee

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area