Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldgardener_2009

This is a video of my garden...

oldgardener_2009
12 years ago

I'm afraid I'm not very active in posting, but I read this forum regularly and absolutely love looking at everyone's garden pictures. There are many accomplished and talented gardeners here, with such gorgeous gardens! I'd love to visit each and every one of them. Every time I see your pictures, I get new ideas for my own garden.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a video with you that I made of my garden. I love cottage gardens but haven't quite made mine as cottage style as I would like...it's sadly lacking in hollyhocks. :)

The music in the video is Canon In D, one of my favorite pieces of music.

Here is a link that might be useful: oldgardener's garden video

Comments (34)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

How delightful!
    TFS

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

OMG! How could you possibly improve on that masterpiece? That just made my day! Absolutely beautiful! I am a firm believer in the art being a reflection of the artist. Because of this I wish I could meet, face to face and heart to heart, all the wonderful artists I have seen the reflections of on this forum! And to continue to watch the changes in their pallets as they change through the days and years of their lives.

My garden is a complete reflection of the place my life is in right now. I am just growing into the real me and the real masterpiece that is my reflection. I can hardly wait to see the many masterpieces of my own soul as they come into manifestation! In the meantime, I am learning and enjoying so much from what I am seeing in others! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!

Namaste and God Bless

Ginny Garden

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

That was amazing. I don't think you have to worry too much about the lack of hollyhocks, but they would certainly fit right in. Very nice, thanks for posting.

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

Very lovely...

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Wow. Thanks so much for sharing your video. There were so many beautiful things I noticed about your garden. I really liked all the levels and structures you had in the gardens and the roses were gorgeous. You have quite an eye for photography and quite a talent for gardening. Absolutely stunning!

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Watching it makes me realize I dont have a garden - just a yard with stuff growing in it. Give me another 10 years and maybe I'll have a garden. Very inspiring. Thank you

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Ditto what thyme2dig said...took the words right out of my mouth.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Double ditto what thyme2dig said. Love the garden...love the music...love the design and the cats and the wisteria and the chickadees! My garden says it wants to be just like your garden when it grows up. I told it to (a) get an attitude adjustment; and (b) get real. Thanks for sharing your amazing garden.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Make that a triple ditto of what thyme2dig said.Beautiful gardens,and beautiful music to accompany the view.

When i grow up,(I'm only 73) i want to learn how to do the pictures to music.
    TFS
    Kathi

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Superb is the word I would use. I just loved how you set it up with music too. All of your roses are so incredibly lush. Did you make that awesome looking chair out of branches?? Think that would be a favorite spot of mine in your garden, sitting down watching the wildlife (and kitty!) surrounded by the lovely flowers.

PS. Speaking of that, I just have to comment on how cute your kitty is. He is the Guardian of the Garden, making the rounds and checking up on everything. ;-)
    It was a treat to watch, thank you!
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

A rare treat indeed, you've created a masterpiece.

Annette

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    12 years ago

Great way to show your garden. That was a real treat!

• reginaz
    12 years ago

That is really beautiful! Who is the photographer? It's very artistic. Love all the nature pictures and especially the cats! Regina

• oldgardener_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your kind comments, everybody. :)

Christinmk, I should have put my two cats' names in the credits at the end as "Special thanks to Gray Kitty and Baby, the garden guardian cats." LOL They've spend a lot of time in the garden ever since they were kittens. They follow me everywhere I go. The chair made out of branches was a gift from my sister.

Reginaz, I snapped the pictures, like to keep my camera handy in case a bird or a bug shows up. :)

Kathi, when you upload a video to youtube, they have music that you can add to the video. There is quite a large selection to choose from.

Thanks again, everyone.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Stan and Jean,

Oh my. There are no words...

Thanks for making my heart sing!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Jean, have a look on Conversations. Thought you might enjoy. :)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! The Canon is a fitting song to accompany, I often sing this with the lyrics at church. Your garden is absolutely beautiful and graceful.

I laughed at hearing you have a cat named Baby. We do too!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Your garden is spectacular as are your photos.

Hollyhocks rust terribly here in the PNW so I don't have them either. I use foxgloves instead. :)

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

SOooo Beautiful!!! Sometimes we work so hard in the garden we need a pause to deeply enjoy, we could all use such a video of our bit of heaven. It sure would be great to play on a cold winter evening. You could start a business with that video service for gardeners. Think about it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

oldgardener, you might like this. I love the juxtaposition of the birdsong with the music. Enjoy-you can listen to excerpts on the Amazon site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pachelbel in the Garden

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Stan and Joan, you have made for yourselves a paradise. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.
    Renee

• Annie
    12 years ago

Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful! I would think I had died and gone to heaven if I had a garden that gorgeous! The roses, and wisterias et al! Your structures and terracing and garden furniture...too many things to praise at once. Just lovely beyond words. Love the pictures of bird and bug. :) And someone to help you create it and care for it all. Wow!
    Love your kitties. Your black one reminds me of Annette's Basil. Beautiful. I too have a cat called "Baby". She is a Russian Blue/Siamese mix. She follows me about in the garden as well. She is also an excellent guard cat. Has saved me from getting snake bit several times.

Love your video. Exquisitely done.
    ~Annie

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Hats off to Stan and Joan! Amazing!!!!!! Loved the music with it, too. Thanks for sharing.

• oldgardener_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again, everyone. I'm so glad you enjoyed the video.

Buyorsell888, I have to laugh. Years ago I did plant some hollyhocks and I just loved them. A couple of years later, I had forgotten that they were there, and I kept digging and digging in that bed, thinking wow, these are really tough weeds! I managed to dig them out after a lot of work. Not until it was time for the hollyhocks to bloom did I realize that I had "weeded" them out. LOL

I love the Pachelbel in the Garden music...it really is beautiful, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Thanks for the links.

• lefleur1
    12 years ago

I am in such awe ~~ I have just watched this THREE times and it becomes more beautiful each time. It will be saved forever in my favorites and I am certain to watch many more times. Thank you so very much.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

I keep coming back to watch your video. I never want it to end. The images are all just so spectacular and interesting. You've created such a peaceful paradise.

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

I can't get to first video to play, stops at three seconds and that is it. However, saw your second video-fabulous! Perfect cure for a dreary wet day. Thank you for sharing your lovely garden with us.

• oldgardener_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, lefleur1 and thyme2dig, I'm glad you enjoy it.

Freezengirl, sometimes that happens to me when I'm watching videos on youtube. If I try it again later, it usually will load correctly. I'm glad you found the second video! I just uploaded it on Saturday. It's more of the same but a little different. :)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

It's a gorgeous garden (and a pretty cat). Thank you for putting the sideshow together, it was wonderful.

I have some pink hollyhock seeds if you want to try them again.

Lois in PA

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

I got the video to work! Awesome garden, awesome video production and a standing ovation for Stan and Kitty being such terrific partners in bringing your vision to life! I think my blood pressure just dropped at least twenty points-that is good medicine for the soul!

• oldgardener_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad you got it to work, freezengirl. Gardening is good for the soul, I agree. :)

• oldgardener_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lois, thanks for the offer of hollyhock seeds! My husband says I have too many pink flowers already, so I've been trying to bring in more blue and purple to balance it out. Men. ;)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

That is such an almost shockingly beautiful garden. I loved the video. You have a real heavenly place to sit here on earth. Thank you for posting it.
    kay

• lethean46
    12 years ago

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz