Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22262128

Fond Memories.

User
9 years ago

This post is not really "Cottage Garden Material",..though its about where i first started gardening,..The National Botanical Gardens in Dublin,..Ireland.

My Father worked here and each day after school i would leave my school bag in our house then go across the road to give my Dad a hand with what ever garden project he was working on,..from our house we could see into the rose garden,..as seen in the video below.

I made this video some years ago but lo and behold YouTube sent it out tonight as a video,.."We Think You Would Like This",..nothing special about it,..i think,..but i do like the music.

Video===National Botanical Gardens

Philip

Comments (2)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Philip, thanks so much for sharing this link. I'm now very sorry I missed the gardens when I was in Dublin. Your video is beautiful. My gosh! Just how many stakes do you think they used for that sunflower maze?! The glass houses were incredible! What wonderful memories you must have.

Did you really enjoy gardening when you were a kid, or was it just something you "helped dad" with? I'm always curious because I hear many stories of gardeners being interested from an early age due to parents, grandparents, etc. We had lots of gardeners in my family, but I was never a bit interested. Going to nurseries was such a drag and a huge bore. It wasn't until I owned my first home that I became completely enraptured with gardens and all the joy they bring. So I guess I can use the excuse of making up for lost time with all my trips to the nurseries! LOL!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi thyme2dig,

Thank you for viewing the link,..i had not viewed that video since i uploaded it to YouTube and i think that was three years ago and i was surprised that some of the roses i noticed there were now in my garden,..i didn't realize until now that it was those that influenced me "Peach",..and "Ice Cream",..both of these were given to me as presents by friends who looked at the video and heard me say i would love those two roses,..lol it pays to open ones mouth.

I honestly loved gardening as a child,..was captivated by the growing from seeds and cuttings,..both my parents were gardeners so i lived with gardening talk from about 10 years old,..i started listening then and still listening and learning 6 decades later,..posting like this will have members counting lol.

Amazing to see you only really got stuck in when you owned your first home and yet there were gardeners in the family,..but making up for lost time by visiting nurseries now,..many times!,..is like something you hear over here,..was it you who asked the barman over here,.."is it always raining in Ireland?,..and he replied,.."no sometimes its getting ready to rain",..lol.

Philip

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville